Chapter 253:

I've been helping Maggie with the kids since Mer was in jail, and Mer is getting out today so my anxiety is a bit down.

I'm at Mer's helping Maggie get the kids ready for school.

Zola: how come my mom hasn't called from sleepover community service?
Maggie: oh, she's probably busy.
Delilah: it's not like a slumber party with friends.

The doorbell rings. That's probably Andrew.

Maggie: oh. That's your ride.
Delilah: come on kiddos. Let's get moving. Let's get your stuff together.

Maggie and I run to the door and let Andrew in.

Delilah: hey.
Andrew: hey. I am so sorry that I'm late. I had to borrow Carina's car. How are the kids?
Maggie: thanks to Lilah, hair is brushed, lunches are packed and Halloween costumes are on. I am killing the auntie game. Right Zozo?
Zola: yeah, but are you gonna get dressed?

I chuckle as I see Maggie with her pj pants still on.

Maggie: good idea. I'm gonna go get dressed, and Dr. DeLuca is gonna take you to school, okay?

I help Zola fix her bag as Maggie runs off to get dressed.

Andrew: okay. Hey. Need some help with that?

Andrew tries helping Zola with her wings, but she makes a fuss.

Zola: don't! You're not my dad.

I look at Andrew.

Delilah: I'm so sorry.
Andrew: alright, let's get the rest of your stuff together guys.

Zola grabs her bag, kisses my cheek then walks towards the door with Bailey and Ellis.

Delilah: I am so sorry about that Andrew.
Andrew: it's fine. I've got them from here. I'll see you at the hospital.

Andrew gives me a quick hug and I kiss my brother and sisters before they walk out with Andrew and I drive to the hospital.

-later-

I'm walking with Amy towards the ER and I see Bailey come through the doors.

Bailey: Shepherd. Uh, you got a second?
Amy: Bailey, are you okay?
Bailey: I– I'm sorry. Um... I'm... pregnant. And I hear you are too. Congratulations.

I look at my mentor with excitement.

Amy: thanks. You too. That's—
Bailey: are your ankles swollen? Do you have intense cravings for root beer? Are you panicking about how you finally have the career you imagined for yourself, but will now be breastfeeding for the next 12 months because the AAP strongly recommends it?
Amy: yes to all of that, but my cravings are for pepperoni, which historically, I hate.
Bailey: this morning, Tuck texted me a picture of him in his Halloween costume, and I burst into tears.
Delilah: that's the hormones. That's normal.
Bailey: okay, well, I don't like it. I can't cry at work, not in front of the staff, and certainly not in front of Tom Koracick. The last thing I need is for the self-proclaimed chief of chiefs to see me reduced to a puddle of tears.
Amy: isn't "chief of chiefs" his actual title?

I slap Amy on the arm.

Amy: right. Not the point. Okay. If you feel like you're gonna cry, try pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth. You can also try looking up at the ceiling.
Bailey: okay. I'll try it. You know, all I wanted to do was vent, and you gave me useful advice. Thank you.

Bailey looked like she was about to cry, so she starts looking up at the ceiling as she walks back into the ER. As I walk off with Amy, Link approaches us.