chapter seven: the domo

You woke at 4am and immediately knew you wouldn't get back to sleep. Your brain was wide awake, your limbs buzzing with anxious energy for what lay ahead. It was useless to even try and close your eyes, not when everyone would be up at dawn anyway.

You left the recluse of the bunks at the compound, wrapped in an oversized dressing gown that some villagers had gifted yourself and the others, and left with bare feet. You didn't care—you used to stroll around with no shoes for years, feeling the sand and stone beneath your feet. It made you feel more connected to things.

The rainforest was warm, even at night. Peering at the calm and sleeping humans, listening to the subtle trickle of bird song and the way the sun began to cascade upon the horizon, you knew why Druig had chosen to settle here.

It was soft. It was welcoming. It was cut off from the rest of the world.

His own little sanctuary—his own little paradise.

Druig had always valued the humans. He lived to protect them, to show them the way, to be someone they could confide in. As much as all of you had issues with their flaws, there was something beautiful about their failures.

Despite Phastos giving up on them long before, he was still here; willing to help just to save his husband and son. Sersi had found love in Dane, Kingo had found stardom in India, as well as someone to trust in Karun.

You'd found Heidi, you'd found warmth and enjoyment in their conversations, their ideals, their humour. Humans were far from perfect, but that's what made them unique to you and the other Eternals. They weren't manufactured; they'd grown.

You made your way to the central building, where you knew you'd be able to make yourself a cup of coffee. At this time, you were trying everything to be as quiet as possible. Noise travelled easily through the clearing. With every clang you sucked in a deep breath, cursing at yourself to shut the fuck up.

"Couldn't sleep?" he said from behind you. You immediately dropped your mug on the floor, clamping your eyes shut as it clattered upon the floorboards, your coffee already soaking into the wood.

"No," you replied, as the mug slowly rolled over to Druig at the opposite end of the hall. "And now I've just woken up half the camp,"

Druig bent down and picked up the mug, smirking as he made his way over to you at the end table. Your back was turned to him, somehow stuck in place despite there being no bad blood between you two, anymore.

After the festivities of the night before, your heart was still firmly stuck in your gut. It pumped blood around your body agonisingly, as your anxiety ate up your remaining cool. He'd been so smooth, so forward.

You'd indulged, there was no question about that. But what you hadn't expected was Druig to reciprocate.

It's Druig. He likes to flirt.

"If it helps you sleep at night, keep telling yourself that," he let out, reading your mind effortlessly and sidling up to you. He placed the mug on the table before you. "Or not sleep,"

You sent him a disapproving smile, pouring yourself another coffee as a comfortable silence sat between the two of you. "Did you ever find anyone?" you asked lowly. Druig's face softened, as he began preparing himself a mug too.

"No one serious," he admitted. "Did you?"

"You already know the answer to that," you replied bluntly. He smiled to himself, but there was sadness laced within.

"Humans weren't made for us,"

"No," you agreed. "We were made for them,"

"Not for affections. Not for anything long lasting,"