It Is Beginning To Look A Lot Like Freedom

I minimized my accounting work and opened up writing software to begin to write my resignation letter. I have learned and mastered the formal talk from working at Joja so I made sure the document wasn't petty nor informal, it had to be formal and clear as to why I am writing the said letter.

I typed away, feeling hints of freedom by every push of the keys on my old keyboard. 

After I wrote it, I sent it to print to the printer under my desk and waited, hearing the talks of coworkers and beeps of the printing machine while it prints my resignation letter.

I grabbed the letter when it was finished and looked around a couple of cubicles, everyone staring at outdated screens with bleak faces. In 2 weeks, I won't be like them, I will be in a better place where my eyes won't sting and burn from the screens and my hands will be cramp less and my brain won't burn out from the same task over and over again.

I began to walk to my boss's desk, Mr. Harrisen. Even he had a bleak face on him, but less so than the other accountants. A smile crawled on his face when I walked up to him. "Ah, favorite account! Handing in a report of sorts?" He asked, smiling at me like he usually does to his favorite coworkers, poor him.

"Not a report Mr. Harrisen," I informed while handing him the letter.

"It has been almost years since I told you to simply call me Morris. How something's never change." He smirked at my formal speech, before looking down at the resignation letter. "Now, let's see."

I can see his smile fading slightly as he read the following:

Winter 14

Dear Mr. Harrisen,

I would like to inform you that I have decided to resign my position as an account for Joja Corp. on Spring 1st.
If I can be of any assistance during my last two weeks please let me know.

Thank you for opportunities and support through many years I have worked here.

Yours Truly,

I can see that the look on his face was unamused as he began to finish reading it, his brown eyes ending on my signature. After he finished reading the letter his looks up at me, cleaning his small circles glasses.

"I wish to quit my job as an accountant in Joja Corp." I confirmed while doing a slight nod.
His unamused face stayed, only smiling when he began to spoke once again.

" It is to my understanding you have worked for Joja for many years, raised ranks, and was always a big help to Joja's accountant team. Correct?"

"I won't confirmed the last part but the others are true." I said with honesty, truly he knows that I am just one of thousands of workers no way did I make any help towards Joja Corp's success.

"I just don't understand why you would throw all of it away. All these years and you are just going to," Mr. Harrisen makes a hand gesture towards the garbage. " throw it away? Please explain why you wish to quit?" 

Yoba, where do I start? Obviously I am not going to vent to my boss about my emotional struggles this job gives me as much I wish I could, even when quitting you got to stay professional. Only when you truly leave you can be yourself.

"I wish to quit due to financial issues, though it is expected for accountant to get an estimate of 45 thousand, I am making so much less and the cheapest apartment I could find near the building wasn't very cheap, even for a floor apartment." I told Mr. Harrisen the financial struggle I was going through.

"Why don't you find a cheaper apartment a little farther away?" He asked.
This made my blood boil, why does he want me to stay? Please just accept my letter already so I can start packing my stuff and get away from here in 2 weeks flat!

"I already get up super early to arrive here and I don't have any automobile, it would take a while to get here on foot."

My boss sighs slightly and holds the letter on his hands.
"It is hard to see you go but if this is what you truly wish for." Mr. Harrisen said, can't tell if he's being genuine or dramatic, though I think it's the ladder.

"I'll accept your resignation letter; it was a pleasure meeting you for the time you spent here at Joja's corporation." He holds onto the letter, rereading it.

"I'll be taking my leave." I nod at him and start walking to my cubicle, looking at the clock high on the wall ticking every second.

May Yoba have mercy on me and make these two weeks fly faster that a supersonic airplane.