The Full Story

The morning came too quickly as usual, the blinding light of the sun and the distant sound of car horns too prominent in Hope's mind to allow further sleep. Pulling the bed covers over her head with a groan, Hope opened her eyes to slits as the morning sunshine burnt her eyelids. Rubbing her eyes, Hope yawned and rolled over.

Heaving herself up from the bed and walking lazily over to the mirror above her desk, Hope considered herself. Her brown hair was in big knot balls matted around her neck, her hazelly-green eyes were bleary and tired, and her shoulders were hunched forward out of fatigue.

With a quick stretch of her arms above her head, Hope sighed at her reflection before turning back to her room. As usual, the pillows had been thrown off of her bed in the course of the night, sending the night-light tumbling across the floor, and now both lay in a heap by the window. Setting the lamp to rights whilst making up her bed, Hope wondered what time it was.

As it was Saturday, Hope had nowhere to go that morning. She would have to go for her shift at the café in the afternoon, but at that time, she was free. Walking over to her limited wardrobe of various sweaters, jeans and her work uniform, Hope selected a pale blue wool pullover and her jeans from the Top Shop sale the month before.

Pulling her masses of brown hair into a low scruffy bun, Hope walked barefoot down the hall to get to the bathroom. Thankfully, it seemed her aunt and uncle had not got up yet, so she didn't have to queue to wash the night, including last night's make up, away.

Padding with bare feet back down the hall to her room, Hope caught sight of the hall clock. At nine o'clock, she decided, it was time for breakfast. Grabbing her make up bag and phone from the desk top in her room, Hope walked over to the kitchen and put the kettle on.

Sitting on one of the high stools by what her aunt called 'the breakfast bar', Hope stared down into her cup of coffee, stirring her spoon around in repetitive circles, waiting for the bread she'd put in the toaster to pop. The way she always did. Life was so boringly repetitive for Hope, and all premonitions of the night before had disappeared.

Truthfully, her head ached slightly, and Hope was having trouble piecing together exactly what had happened last night, even though she hadn't touched any alcohol. Her phone, abandoned on the kitchen counter, vibrated and Hope glanced down in confusion. No one ever messaged her, so she never even bothered to check social media.

The unknown number that flashed across the screen prompted Hope's memories of last night. A vision of Joe, slightly augmented by his similarity to Colin Firth, popped into her head, and she quickly unlocked her phone.

Morning. Are you free to meet today?

Hesitating before typing a response, Hope wondered if it looked too eager to reply immediately. But honestly, she didn't care.

Yeah, I'm not doing anything til this afternoon.

To add an 'x' or not? Hope thought it would look strange given she barely knew Joe, so decided not to.

His response was almost immediate, showing that he had been waiting for her answer: Cool. Are you ready?

A thrill coursed through Hope. She typed quickly: If I need to be.

The minute she'd pressed send, Hope regretted it. What the heck did 'if I need to be' mean? She slapped her forehead repetitively with the palm of her hand.

Ok then. Ten minutes?

Hope was surprised at Joe's text, but she found a smile cracking across her face. He didn't seem to mind her vaguely awkward answer. Hope felt a warmth spreading through her chest.