Chapter 7: First Impression

3rd Person POV

In a span of three days Halsey's words reached the generals in Washington DC, to which they took the problem to the United States capitol building where the house of representatives and the senate where they squabbled with each other for 24 hours before they finally agreed to take the problem to Franklin D. Roosevelt where for another 24 hours, he sat in his office alone in the peace and quiet, thinking and thinking and thinking until he finally came to an answer.

He would only allow his forces to aid the Persians in retaking the coastal city of Baku from the Mongolians and that's it.

William's POV

Pulling the bolt back on my Garand I took a deep breathe and pushed my helmet up, looking out the back of the truck I saw the partial image of the rest of the convoy trudging through the desert going to meet the Persian army gathered outside the city in secrecy. Beside me I saw Dalton breathing heavily from nervousness, nudging his shoulder I gave him a reassuring smile, but he didn't calm down. Then from the front of the truck Sergeant Hellen stood up and stood in the aisle, "Boys listen this is our first combat mission, all I have to say is stay safe, stay together, and look after each other, understood!" Hellen shouted, "Yes sergeant!"

Just then the trucks stopped, and sergeant Hellen started shouting for us to get out of the truck, with my heart pounding, my body tense, and hands trembling I along with everyone else jumped out of the truck and took a moment to look around, a line of 5 M2 Light Tanks and 5 Panzer 1s both speedy tanks that will be able to speed into the city. But there I saw around 5,000 Persian soldiers with calvary, catapults, archers, and shield wall, using up enough time we ran to a sand hill that hid us and stood there. A recon team was sent to peak over the hill and look down to the city, for minutes we stared at them as they looked at the city and talking to presumably the air force over radio until they finally came down.

"Moderately large city, surrounded by stone walls with watch towers, and military encampments placed around the city!" one of the recon soldiers announced to us, finally we got into formation. The tanks would go in front while we trailed behind and behind us were the Persian army.

A faint humming adverted our attention to the sky, shielding our eyes from the sun we could see 6 planes now diving towards the ground, the hum turned into a terrible and mind shattering scream. The planes screamed towards the ground and from below the planes bombs were released, the bombs slammed into the ground shaking the ground and plumes of smoke rose from over the sand wall. The planes began circling the city, "What in gods name are those?" I asked in awe of the planes scream, "Those William are Ju-87 Stukas" Andrew said smiling brightly.

From behind the sound of whirring made us look back just in time to see catapults launch flaming boulders at the city. The flaming boulders disappeared over the hill, but we could hear the impact of them, "Commence charge!" the Persian Commander yelled and since we in front we charged forward and over the hill. The tanks were already speeding towards the blow walls and us Americans just behind them, my heart was pounding even harder now but I would not allow myself to chicken out at my first battle.

The circling Stukas were now strafing the city presumably at enemy soldiers, charging into the city me and friends along with sergeant Hellen took cover behind an M2 that was going through the city. quickly we had our first contact, a group of soldiers wearing long fur coat that went to the thighs covered with armor plates, an iron helmet with flaps on the side and a tail on top, wielding battle axes charged at us with war cries. Raising my gun, I fired a round at one of them and killed one and the others followed, gunning down the rest with no remorse.

Then two hands pulled me back as I caught sight of a long wooden pole zooming past me, falling on my back I looked up and saw Jay who left me on the ground. Standing up I peak from around the tank and saw a ballista down the road, a quiet snap came from the weapon and a spear slammed into the M2 with some sparks. The gunner on top of the M2 opened fire using the mounted M1919 followed by the M2 firing a single round and destroyed the artillery piece into splinters.