chapter 19

When the bright golden light died down, Harumi found herself near the center of the room. She blinked several times, adjusting her vision. Even though her eyes had been closed, the light had been bright enough to make the sun look dark.

It had been like looking directly into the sun, only brighter. Looking around, she noticed that the others must've experienced something familiar, with how they were rubbing their eyes and shaking their heads.

But Harumi's mind quickly focused on something else. Something more important. She saw Lloyd laying in the center of the room, unconscious once again. Must be annoying to miss this much, she thought. Neither the weapons nor the crystal were there anymore though.

The former princess quickly rushed forward, shaking his shoulder. "Lloyd?" she called.

He was blond again, skin not as pale as it had been minutes ago. She still held her breath when she noticed that his eyes were twitching with effort to open. And when they did, they were the pure innocent green that she loved.

Without thinking much, Harumi helped the blond sit up. He groaned, rubbing his right temple. "God my head hurts" he complained.

For a second, Harumi stopped. Unsure of what to do. He had said that the other day too. But it had worked, right? He wouldn't use the same trick again, right?

Morro had said that Lloyd was a terrible liar and actor. He would be able to see through him if he did try it again. She looked over to the former ghost, looking for a sign. He had his eyes narrowed. But didn't move otherwise.

He was cautious, just like her. But she wouldn't fall for the same trick again. The others had worried look too but didn't move. She knew that they would if they had to. In the end, none of them hated her enough to let her get killed. At least she hoped so.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

Lloyd looked at her with nothing but confusion. "I'm fine, I guess. But I am more than just confused" he said.

Harumi laughed quietly. She heard the others chuckle as well. He didn't look this confused the time he had tried to trick her. This was a good sign. A very good sign.

"Wait, did it actually work though?" Jay asked.

"I'd guess so. Lloyd's not stupid. Using the same trick twice won't work, he knows that" Cole shrugged.

"What trick?" the blond leaned his head to the side. "What did I miss?"

"Do you remember anything from the last weeks?" Harumi asked.

Lloyd looked at the ceiling for a moment, humming to himself. "Well, last thing I remember clearly is going to town to get the pieces of the realm crystal. The rest is kind of fuzzy. Some things are there, some aren't" he explained.

"What do you remember?" Kai asked, crossing his arms.

"Well, there's the incident with one of the oni's who I think I threw down a cliff" and he did not sound pleased with himself while he said that, Harumi noticed.

Another good sign. Remorse was always a good sign in these situations. Not like any of this has happened before. Harumi was sure all of this was a first.

"I have no idea what this is about though" he gestured towards her whole being.

That made her suspicious though. He said that before. This was just a coincidence, right? There was no way that the crystal along with the golden weapons did nothing. Especially when they vanished. Harumi decided to let it go for now.