Chapter 4: Nurse's Office

TW/CW: Being hated because of something you can't control, phobia...

_____________

It was August 22, and the school in the city was starting up, as well as the season to start thinking about harvesting some crops, and Tommy figured the boys needed to go to school while he took care of the farm. Michael and Shroud were 5, so they would be Kindergarten age.

Tommy didn't really have much of a chance with school himself, but it sounded important, and if he wanted the boys to have a more modern life instead of a more barbaric lifestyle he had of fighting and wars, school could be a starting point.

So, early that morning, he got the boys up, dressed and fed. Michael was dressed in a red long sleeve with deep blue overalls and black boots and Shroud was wearing the old green shirt that used to be Michael's, just modified slightly for size.

 Michael was dressed in a red long sleeve with deep blue overalls and black boots and Shroud was wearing the old green shirt that used to be Michael's, just modified slightly for size

Once the boys were ready, Tommy went out and saddled Clementine, the dappled gray mare that he had bought one year in the village from a random wandering trader who was making his way through town with a group of horses to sell

When Clem was ready, Tommy lifted each boy onto her back and climbed on behind them. He then nudged Clem's sides and they rode to the city.

It took them about a 30-minute ride, but they got there and Tommy lead them inside.

"Hey Ma'am, I would like to know where my two boys need to go to be a part of school," Tommy said as he pulled one much older woman to the side.

She looked at him weirdly for a second before she answered him, a small boy by her side who was staring at the three judgmentally.

"Well, I'm the school nurse, so I could lead you to the office, but you'll need to sign them up if they aren't already and we'll call their assigned teacher down to get them," the lady said.

She then looked down at Michael and Shroud, finally seeing them fully and a look of horror and disgust crossed her face. Tommy saw it and pointed it out.

"Is there a problem, ma'am?" Tommy said with a somewhat stern voice.

She looked up from the two who had moved closer to Tommy and just looked at Tommy for a second.