Out Of Touch

"I have a hard time believing you both don't know who attacked you." my dad says and looks back at me quietly and then looks towards Nate. "I didn't see" I answer quickly and Nate sits there bloody and bruised. "Dad just leave it alone" Nate says breathing a large sigh. "Well I'm not going to" dad answers. I look out the window as we pass Tyler's apartment. I wish I could jump out of the car right now and run into his arms. 

"Louie listen up, you will be Nate's slave for the next two weeks, you make sure he is given every pill, every bandage is wrapped securely and cleaned." my dad says and I roll my eyes. "You don't have too Louie" Nate says and dad quickly shushes him. "Yes you do" dad says eyeing me and I nod my head. 

"I think you're the only person I like in this family" Nate says as I help him into his bed. "Why, we barely even talk" I say back making sure his pillow his okay and propped up to a comfortable place. "You're kind to me" Nate says and I feel an ounce of sadness through my veins. I dig through my head trying to find a memory to help the conversation. 

"Remember when Aaron, You, Dad, and I played football in the backyard?" I remember the memory. "It was always Aaron and me vs you and dad" Nate says and I laugh remembering it. "I never scored and the only reason I played was to be able to get the pink lemonade mom made for us after the game was over." I remember the large pitcher my mom would bring to the backyard. 

"What's you're favorite memory of our family?" I ask looking down at Nate dabbing a wet cloth to his eye. "I always love Christmas" Nate says and I smile. "Yeah but like which one?" I say and Nate quickly says "the Christmas 9 years ago" and I smile. "Why that one?" I ask curiously digging through my brain trying to remember what had happened that Christmas. 

"I remember smiling so hard at everyone opening their presents and you had the biggest smile when dad left the room and mom quickly handed you a Barbie and Ken doll. "I loved those dolls" I say remembering them clearly. "I was so pissed at dad for throwing them away when he found them" Nate says and I think back to the moment when my dad found them. 

"He dragged me by the shirt collar and made me watch him throw it in the bonfire and told me 'dolls aren't for boys' and I sobbed for hours." I say and Nate laughs a little. "Yeah but I just loved seeing you so happy that morning." Nate says and I smile. I look back on the memories Nate and I shared. 

"How long has dad been cheating on mom?" I ask and Nate takes a deep breath. "A while" Nate says and I take a deep breath. "Do you think she knows?" I ask and Nate thinks for a minute. "Deep down, yeah I think she does" Nate answers and I stand up. "Night" I say and begin to walk out the door. "Louie?" Nate says and I turn around and look towards Nate. "Yeah?" I asks and Nate gives me a small smile. "I love you" he says and I'm a little taken aback. 

The Jacobs household has never been a 'I love you' household. I smile slightly and say "I love you too" I then shut the door and begin to walk to my own room. I lay down in my bed and shut off the lights. 

"You want something to drink?"Tyler asks as I sit on the couch. "No I'm good." I say and he grabs a beer out of the fridge. "How many girls have you fucked?" I ask and Tyler chokes on his beer. "what?" he says and I repeat myself "How many girls have you fucked?" Tyler runs his hands through his hair and takes a deep breath. "Like my bodycount?" he asks and I nod my head. 

"Four" he says and I laugh. "Describe them" I say and his eyes go wide. "First girl was my moms friends daughter, she was a year older than me, I was 14 and it was at a lake house in the basement and it lasted fourteen seconds." Tyler says and I laugh. 

"Okay next girl" I say and Tyler begins to think for a moment. "I met her at a college party freshman year and we fucked all through the year in her dorm" I nod my head. "Second to last" I say and Tyler laughs. 

"Some chick at a rest stop, she was a super fucking loud ass moaner and we got caught and had to run" he says and I laugh out loud at that. "That must mean your good then" I say and Tyler shrugs. "Okay last girl" I say and Tyler takes a deep breath. 

"Some girl at a party" he says and I smile. "A college party?" I asks and Tyler shakes his head. "It was a summer party in August, there were a ton of high schoolers there to" he says and I think back to McKay's summer party in August right before school. "Was it McKay's party?" I ask and he gulps and nods his head. 

"Who was the girl, I might know her" I say and Tyler fiddles with the top of his beer. "Uhh I don't know some brunette chick who wanted to fuck in the pool, and her psychotic boyfriend was screaming at us" Tyler says and my stomach drops. Maddy had fucked a boy in the pool that night. It was all over school and Nate was freaking out at the two. 

"Was it Maddy Perez?" I asks and Tyler snaps her fingers. "Thats her name" and I gulp. "You okay?" he asks and then I begin to connect the dots. "Why was your face and neck fucked up when I met you?" I ask. "Her boyfriend broke in and uhh..." Tyler goes on and stops obvious the moment between my brother and him affected him a lot. 

"Nate Jacobs hurt you?" I finish for him and he slowly nods his head and I can see a tear slip down his cheek as I mention the name. "Nate's my brother" I say slowly and Tyler mouth begins to drop and I can tell his stomach dropped as he stopped breathing for a moment. "Tyler tell me everything that happened" I say and stand up walking towards him.