400 mg

April 19, 2023

"Dad." I tugged on my dad's sleeve, trying to get his attention. "Dad." my dad brushed my handed away and continued his conversation on the phone, mouthing 'wait a minute' to me.

"Dad it's important." I urged, pulling on his sleeve again. "Dad."

"Shhh!" he shushed me. "Luke this is an important phone call, I'll be don't soon okay?" I sat on the bench we were on at the train station, waiting impatiently, I had a question, I wanted it answered now.

"Daadd." I whispered, annoyance flickered on my dad's face, which looked quite amusing. "Dad. Dad. Dad!"

"Luke!" he scolded. "I'm on the phone!"

"But I have a question!" I protested, my father sighed and murmured something to the other person and put his hand on the speaker.

"What is it?"

"I have to use the bathroom."

He made an exasperated sound. "Luke I asked you if you had to use the bathroom two minutes ago!"

"I didn't have to go then!" I squeaked.

"You just can't ever be pleased can you?" he chuckled. "Lets go find the bathroom again."

December 18th, 2030

My parents were of course still not very happy with me from keeping it all from them, but little did they know there was still a ton they didn't know about. I had managed to finally figure out the code to unlock the safe (it was my birthday, which didn't surprise me), and now I was sitting on my bed, turning the box over in my hands. I had looked at the ring earlier, and it was really a work of art, and no doubt probably costed a lot of money, more than most rings I would think. I knew this was what they wanted, but I was still afraid that they might not leave me alone, stalk me forever. What if I that was how I would spend the rest of my life? Under constant watch? I wasn't exactly okay with that.

I glance over at my clock, it's red letters glowing at 6:45, I would have to go to school now. Carefully hiding the box in a more safe place than I used to hide my cigarettes, I grabbed my bag and headed down stairs. My mom didn't say a word to me as she handed me my lunch, even Amelia was particularly quiet, as if she understood the whole situation. Shaking my head and muttering an awkward goodbye, I headed out the door to wait for the bus. Already at the stop was the girl that was at Jack's house earlier, Phoenix, with Jack's little brother, who was just starting middle school. I gave a polite nod and stood a good distance away from them, not really feeling like talking.

"You're Luke, right?" she suddenly asked me.

"Yeah."

"I thought so," she paused, as if asking her conscious if she could continue speaking, " I used to be pretty close with your mom you know."

"Really?" my mom hadn't talked much about her childhood friends, which she hasn't seen in years I don't think, but I didn't know Phoenix was one of them. Phoenix was just so... Phoenix. I didn't think her and my mom would ever get along.

"Yes, back in high school." she sighed, reminiscing to herself. "Good times."

"My mom hasn't talked about you before."

"We ended on bad terms," she sighed, looking back at my house. "I would love to go in and talk to her, but I feel like she wouldn't want to see me right now. She's probably too busy taking care of your sister."

I gave her a strange look. "How did you know she was taking care of my sister today?"

Phoenix did an exceptional job of masking her emotions, only letting a small smile show. "I just had a feeling she was."