TEN

Training the next day went by as terribly as I could make it. I steered clear of the physical contact areas, under strict orders not to tamper with my forehead wound so that it could heal before the games.

For the most part I observed. The tributes from Five were pretty much useless. They had no special skills, both about twelve years old, and too shy for their own good. I wouldn't target them personally but if they're stupid enough to run for the cornucopia I wouldn't be surprised to see their faces in the sky at the end of day one.

Gemma and Mahi, on the other hand, were making a game of the archery arena to outdo each other. Their scores and times only got better as the morning went on and when we sat down to lunch in a hall joined onto the training centre. Most tributes stuck to their districts, unwilling to get close to those they would have to kill soon enough. But, as careers, we automatically have something in common. Besides, Mahi and Gemma seemed to get along after this mornings' session and Sly and Martial were bonding over their broken noses.

I sat next to Wade, stabbing at the salad on the side of my plate.

He made no attempt at conversation and, in all honesty, I'm bored out of my mind watching everyone and drifting over to the poisonous plants table.

"Terra," I look around and find Gemma's amused smile. There always seems to be something to laugh at. "Are you feeling okay? You haven't done much today."

"Yeah," I scramble to find the right words, "I just- there's so much to choose from, it's hard to decide." Gemma glanced sideways at Mahi, flashing a smile before leaning across the table and resting her hand on my own. I have to force myself to sit still despite my skin reeling at her warm touch seeping into my hand.

"I'm going back to archery after this, are you any good?" I shrug, shaking my head, and her smile widens. "Let me teach you."

"Okay," I respond quietly, glancing at Martial briefly but he's too preoccupied with Sly.

Observing an act and then trying to do it yourself are two entirely different things. And when your teacher makes it look so easy, it's unsurprising when disappointment and doubt weasels its way into your mind.

I know the plan was to look bad, but I never considered I was actually this bad. Gemma completed her course in under two minutes, shooting down twelve holographic assaillants. To start, I was slow. The holograms came at me and ran through me with swords and arrows, the room flashed red and I stood in the middle looking around with an arrow docked that had never been loosed.

There were few tributes watching, the boy from seven, a few from the poorer districts, and Gemma with a small sneer on her lips. I was embarrassing her as well as myself.

She entered the arena, tapping in the beginning of a new session and instructed my stance, stood close behind me and guided my arms to aim at the holograms. When her feet touched mine, I pivoted, when she said 'go' lowly in my ear with her hot breath tickling my neck, I let go. And, I finished in five minutes on the easiest level, my heart was racing as she lowered her arms.

"Not bad."

"That was oddly intimate," our heads snapped over to the door, where Mahi was watching with a smirk and her arms crossed. Gemma tsked as I rolled my neck and shook out my arms.

Intimate? I'd hardly call that intimate, sometimes the best method of teaching was to show the student. It was quite effective just now.

"Practice," Gemma countered as we approached the door, "teaching my girlfriend taught me that much."

"You have a girlfriend?"

"Well, not anymore... Do you want to go by yourself?" Gemma looked back at me, directing the question towards me as she composed herself. I glanced briefly at Mahi but collected a fresh quiver of arrows and nodded. The door shut and muffled their voices. I shut my eyes briefly, collecting my thoughts and remembering the way Gemma had moved my body to find the targets.