A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Five

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

For he today that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile

This day shall gentle his condition

And gentlemen in England now a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."          Speech made by King Henry V of Agincour  ~ Courtesy of Shakespeare

Chapter Five

At the castle gates I could see that many soldiers had pulled back or were dead.  Robin was standing on a barrel, facing the men of the villiage.  He called out,

"In the name of King Richard, I charge Isabella of Gisborne with high treason and crimes against the people of Nottingham!"

Everyone's eyes were on him.  He went on to say,

"The castle, and everything in it, belongs to the people!"

There were resounding cheers from the crowd.  I was so caught up in the moment that I raised my sword and let out a Marine Corp "Whoha!"  No one seemed to notice, so I kept it up as long as everyone continued cheering.

Guy took Isabella to the dungeon, and when he returned, Robin gathered us all around.

Robin began to speak. "We must be on our guard.  Prince John will surely hear about this and will send soldiers to try to take back the castle."

We all agreed and took his warning very seriously.

"We must have around the clock guards posted along the castle walls." He turned to Much.

"Find out how many able archers we have."

He directed John, "Get some men to stand guard up on the ramparts.  The rest of you, gather all the weapons you can find."  

To me he said, "Aylaina, get some men to help you move the supply train back to the kitchen and get some food together. I think everyone could use a meal."

"No problemo,"  I replied.

"What did you say?"  Robin asked with a quizzical glance.

"I said that will not be a problem." and smiled at him.  Shaking his head, he walked off toward Nottingham village.

I recruited some men to help with the food until everybody had been fed.

That night Guy was standing watch along the top of the castle wall.  I brought him a tankard of ale, which he seemed very grateful for.  Then I sat down on the wall, leaning against a pillar.

"Guy, have you gazed at the many stars in the sky?"

"There was a time when I did quite often.  After you had been taken back to Scotland, I could not bear to gaze upon them without you."

Once again, my 'cousin and I shared a similar trait.

"Did you know that God has hung the stars and knows the count of every one?"