Chapter 6: Improvement

Author: Emaan

You had no time to be worrying about whatever your feelings about Britney were. You weren't risking another failing grade, especially not after remembering that your birthday was in less than a month. You were turning eighteen; there was no way you'd begin adulthood living like the embodiment of filth you were.

"Happy Monday, everyone!" Mr. Wilson shouted at the top of his struggling lungs, trying to get the attention of the entire rowdy class. Despite your efforts to be the student you should have been, his voice became monotonous too quickly. You were more focused on the girl in front of you, with her dirty blonde hair in two braids falling in front of her shoulders. She was tapping the leg of her desk with her foot with the apparent clicking of her fancy shoes against the black metal.

Hey! Why are you looking there? Pay attention! You tried to focus on the chalkboard in front of you. Mr. Wilson was one of the more old-fashioned teachers out of all of the senior year educators — he had his brown wooden desk in the middle of the front of the classroom, right in front of the chalkboard which was annoyingly dirtied with unerased chalk dust. Is his brain really that outdated to notice the obvious? You couldn't stand to look at something so imperfect — which was ironic, being someone who needed a lot of work yourself.

His handwriting was so crooked that you were too tired to put in extra effort to decipher whatever he was trying to teach, but you decided to use whatever brainpower you had left.
Stoichiometry? Really? We've gone over molarity a thousand times!

Upon looking around the classroom, you noticed your classmates were as unbothered as you would have been before whatever happened to your mind today. Some people had binders full of Pokémon cards and showed them off to their friends, while others had stolen dry erase markers from other teachers and played Tic-Tac-Toe on their desks. You had never really thought about how lacking your social life was before this. Well, you had spoken to people before, but the only reason people would know you would be the number of times you spilled your food from the cafeteria all over the floor.

You looked at Britney in front of you. She was talking to two of her friends in the row in front of her. Their styles were similar to Britney's, although much less known than her. You kept staring until you realized you were, quickly looking back at your desk and all of the drawings engraved into it. You braided tiny strands of your long messy hair, bored out of your mind.

-

The dismissal bell would ring in less than half an hour, and you were more than ready to finally leave. Today seemed so much longer than usual. You probably thought more today than you had ever thought in your entire life. You were questioning your feelings and place in society — but all you knew was that you needed to change soon.
Your dad may have left, but you weren't gonna lose your dignity — you probably already did, but you convinced yourself you had a chance.
Britney was in this class with you, but her desk was too far away for you to bother finding her. You stared at the probably-broken clock, begging the hands to move faster.
You decided to put your head on your desk and take a nap for whatever time remained.

The bell finally rang, waking you up from your attempted slumber. You hurriedly grabbed your backpack, which had been open the whole day, running out the door with the crowd of kids who were also desperate to leave.
You were speed walking down the hallway while students visited their lockers in the same hallway. You were close to the exit when an arm pulled you away from the stream of students.

"Wh—"
"I got a good grade on the test," said a familiar voice. You processed your surroundings to find that the person you were in front of was Britney Spears. You were touched by Britney Spears. You didn't even know what she was saying.
"Are you listening? Listen to me when I'm talking to you!" she shouted in a whisper, scaring you into reality.
"I'm sorry, what?"
"I got a good grade on the test! What are you, deaf? You really have nothing going for you at all," she replied, frustrated.
"Oh, that's great! I'm so gla—"
"When are you free?" she asked before you could finish. When weren't you free? All you did was play Call Of Duty and bully kids and senior citizens, but could you really tell her that was what you busied yourself with all day?
"Uh, when are you free?" you responded stupidly again. Nothing you said made sense — what were you doing?

"It's my parents' anniversary tomorrow, and on Friday I have to visit my grandparents for the weekend," she answered. You were thankful she forgave your hopeless speech.
"Are you available Wednesday and Thursday?" you asked.
"Both. Let's do both."

Did she really just invite you for two days in a row? Forget about that; you had your birthday to worry about a week from now. And you were so lame that it had to be on a Monday.
As a child, you thought your eighteenth birthday would be one of the most exciting days of your life, but it was one of the most dreaded days this year.
You promised yourself you would fix yourself before adulthood, but now you actually had to work on it.

"Okay! That works!"

You really were the dumbest human being on the entire planet.