phase four - bring her home

gary drove phoebe to her place, up to the house.

in the back, the kids played 'pattycake' and 'red cars, blue cars' on the way over. as phoebe began to get to know her friends longer and observed their relationship, she realized that with podcast and nova together, they always tried to make the best out of anything and make fun out of any situation. they would play games whenever they were bored, they would make jokes whenever they were having a dull moment. nova was a bright and sunshiny person, but also a ball of sarcasm, common sense, and realism. obviously the comedic relief. and podcast was a goofy and gullible guy, the type of guy who wasn't scared to be sensitive and show the middle finger to toxic masculinity, which phoebe was sure nova taught him.

podcast sat in the front, laying his head on the dashboard and fresh air entering through the empty front window, which the shadow exploded. it reminded the girls of a calm golden retriever.

walking into the house, nova walked behind podcast, listening to podcast talk to the microphone. "it has a door and windows, like any ordinary house. but the distinct smell of evil..." he sniffed the air, "is prominent." "you are.. so weird." she patted podcast's shoulder, before wandering further into the house.

she looked around one of the rooms with phoebe, podcast and gary soon joining her. "woah, aztec death whistle. its designed to ward off evil spirits. its actually got a really horrifying sound–" podcast blew into it with all his might, making the sound fill the room. phoebe and gary covered their ears, but nova didnt even bother, used to podcast doing the same thing with things like kazoos and harmonicas in department stores whenever they hung out. "what–?" phoebes mother walked in. "um– what the hell is that?" she asked. "aztec death whistle. can i keep it?" podcast asked like a puppy. "yes, please. just.. don't do that again." podcast nodded, understanding why, before turning away. phoebes mother breathed, before spotting th summer school teacer. "hi." "hello again." he greeted. "awkward~." nova sung quietly, turning around to face phoebe.

"you brought them home." she observed. "its a service i provide. well, im also an escort... that came out wrong." gary muttered. "yep." "one of them is actually mine. but, the truth is, i've always wondered what lurked inside this haunt box." phoebes mother nodded, making her more comfortable. "right. well, the only thing lurking inside here is my slowly dying soul." "is that what that smell is?" she chuckled. "well, its not dinner." "why do they act like this?" podcast whispered. "why, why, why." phoebe mumbled.
"would you..."
"sure."
"like..."
"yeah."
"i dont have any food."
"its fine."
"tour."
"great."
"great."

the parents conversed, then walking out of the room. "great, great." nova mimicked, getting a chuckle from podcast. they all just looked at each-other in disturbance and slight horror.

"why?"

/\/\/\

the kids went up to phoebes room now, looking through things. podcast was laying on his stomach on phoebes bed, looking through a thick and dusty book.

"i think grooberson's trying to bone your mom." podcast blurted. phoebe looked up for a moment, before letting out an "oh." "i think thats obvious." nova added. "it doesn't bother you?" he asked phoebe. "no, of course it bothers me. i just don't exhibit emotions the same way everyone else does. inside, i'm vomiting. nova does the same. she exhibits emotions with sarcasm." nova laughed, knowing she was right, holding up a hand for a high five. phoebe smiled and high fived her, then interlacing her fingers with phoebes and putting them down on their sides, just letting their hands hold and relax, continuing to read her book on greek myths.