ii

"you are really bad at this", the boy sniffs, and heeseung grins.

"but it helped."

"that it did," he agreed.

the boy, who heeseung finds out is named park jeongseong (although he prefers to be called jay), had totally ignored heeseung's presence for 15 minutes, but when he showed no signs of leaving, jay finally accepted his offer of having ramen.

"are you fine? like-"

"when are people who cry in abandoned parks at 2 a.m. ever fine?" jay questions with a small laugh, and heeseung nods.

"i guess that's true. stupid question, huh?"

"yep."

silence settles over them. it isn't particularly uncomfortable but heeseung feels compelled to cut through the tension.

"do you want to..talk about it?"

"i'd rather not." jay's answer was short and prompt, preventing heeseung from asking any further.

was i too nosy?

he probably thinks i'm a creep.

aM i a cReEP-

ignoring his mental dilemma, heeseung chooses to wordlessly watch jay as he fiddles with the rim of his sweater and his rings.

he wore quite a few rings.

heeseung was particularly attracted to a silver and black band on his left pinky, and as he watches jay's blank face which looked both troubled and peaceful he can't help himself from whispering.

"pretty."

"i-i'm sorry?"

sHIT-

red creeps up heeseung's as he realizes the whisper was loud enough to reach jay's ears.

"the ring. it's pretty. haha-" he points to the ring, and jay's face lights up.

"it is, isn't it? i got it for my 16th birthday from my boyfriend, i've worn it ever since."

"ah, that's nice."

so he has a boyfriend.

why did heeseung feel so disappointed?

it's been less than 2 hours since you first met him, what's wrong with you lee heeseung.

"well, how long have you been dating him?"heeseung asks.

jay sighs.

"around 3 years? yeah, i guess it's been 3 years. would've been 4 in a few months if he hadn't left." jay smiles bitterly, and heeseung glimpses a flash of hurt from jay.

heeseung himself feels like crying at the pain he sees in his eyes.

"i'm sorry." heeseung doesn't feel particularly sorry.

"it was bound to happen," jay says, more to himself than to heeseung, as if he was trying to reassure himself.

"so...that's why you were crying?" heeseung guesses, and jay nods.

"hmm...kind of? wasn't the only reason."

heeseung doesn't know what else to say.

the silence that fell over them this time was awkward as neither knew what to say to the other. heeseung watches as jay brushes a hand against his eyes, because he doesn't want heeseung to see him cry.

heeseung feels like he was intruding on something private (which he probably was), but he couldn't bring himself to leave jay alone.

"um...you can leave, if you want." jay says softly, and heeseung shakes his head.

"i don't really have plans of going home before dawn, but if you feel uncomfortable i'll gladly leave you alone."

jay thinks for a while, before he shakes his head.

"no, i'm not uncomfortable."

heeseung smiles.