Chapter Twenty-Two ➞ The Past is the Past

"You're dating my sister

"You're dating my sister."

"Yes."

"You and my sister are dating."

"Yes."

"So, you and my sister went behind my back and started dating without me knowing?"

"Well, not quite..."

"So, you only just started dating?"

"Yes."

"Which means before that you've been...oh hell no."

Dawn came to the explosive conclusion at the same time that I braced myself for a colossal storm.

Of course as soon as school was out, Dawn was fully informed about our little kiss. When we got back to the apartment, somehow he was already sitting at the wooden dining table, in his work uniform, and he promptly directed Ether I to sit down on either side of him. I'm not too sure why we complied with his over-dramatic antics, but I had hoped our cooperation would mitigate any extreme outbursts.

I was wrong.

"You had one job, Ether, one fucking job. I specifically asked you not to look at my sister that way and you told me you wouldn't have a problem with that. So, what the fuck happened?!"

I had to give Ether plenty of credit, he wasn't so much as breaking a sweat with Dawn practically spitting in his face. He answered with a levity that seemed to impress me and my brother at once.

"Things changed when I saw her for the first time."

Dawn pursed his lips before managing to twist Ether's words in a snap, "You hear him, 'Dale? He's saying he only likes you for your looks."

"Shut up, Dawn," I rolled my eyes, "You know that's not what he's saying."

"I'm saying," Ether spoke up, "That there was something about her, in general, that drew me in. I didn't target her, but it was impossible not to want her."

"You've been lying to me this whole time, great, please go on."

Dawn was boiling on the inside. His legs wouldn't stop bouncing as he looked between Ether and I. To be frank, I was at ease because he was acting exactly as I expected him to: like a petulant child.

"And you—"

"Oh, my turn?" I said with enough dryness to let Dawn know exactly how much I cared about his opinion.

"You just couldn't help yourself, you always want what you're not supposed to have."

I snorted, "I'd say no one holds that title as tightly as you do, Dawn."

It wasn't like I had a thing for other people's girlfriends, but I was the one being judged at present. Again, I loved my brother, but I could never trust his moral compass.