Chapter 20: A Solution Pt. 2

You stepped out of Mariella's room with the cart in front of you. Your smile was wide at the information she gave you. You rolled the cart to the king's room but stopped as soon as you heard yelling. 

   ' I'll come back. '

You walked past the king's room and towards Quinn's room. You knocked on the door, but there was no response. You knocked a second time, but you were met with silence. You slowly opened the door and looked into the room. Quinn was at his desk, with his head in his arms, asleep. You walked into his room and took his plates from lunch, and set them on the tray. Before leaving, you walked to his bed and grabbed a blanket lying on the top of the main duvet. You opened the blanket and set the soft material around Quinn. You placed a kiss on his cheek and left his room, shutting the door quietly.

   ' He must not have gotten a lot of sleep last night. That or those documents are terribly boring. '

Your smile seemed to disappear as you walked to the king's door. You didn't knock, afraid that he would yell at you for knocking. The door was propped open a bit, and you peeked inside to see the king yelling, but he was yelling at someone. You knew it wasn't a good idea to eavesdrop, but you needed to complete your job.

   ' I'll just wait for him to finish up. '

You stood outside of the room and waited, but you couldn't help your curiosity. You continued to watch through the crack in the door.

   " I don't know what you want me to do! "

   " I want you to tell me that you love me! You haven't said it in months! "

   " Because my wife has left me! Why would I say I love you, when the woman I married and loved has left me? "

   " Then what am I to you? " The voice sneered.

   " You are nothing, to me! Get that through your head! You can't even do your drop because you're so depressed, that I decided to cut ties with you. Now, look at yourself compared to how you were months ago. You were pretty, and you were better. Now you're just a sack of bones and flesh. "

   " Because you used me! You played with me and told me that you loved me. Then when your wife leaves, you immediately drop everything we had! "

   " Because she was the first woman I ever loved! And the only woman I will ever love! That is why! Now, get out. I will send food for you, you're skin and bones and it's not healthy for you. "

   " Why do you care? You'll kill me eventually. "

   " I don't want to kill you. "

   " Now who's being ridiculous? You say you won't kill me, yet you've killed many others like me! Tell me you don't love me, and make me believe you. "

You heard footsteps, and doors were flung open. You turned your gaze through the crack and towards the balcony doors in the room. They were thrown open by the woman in the king's chambers. The king was right. The woman was mainly bone, and her skin was an alarming shade. She seemed weak and ill. The kin followed her outside and tried to pull her back inside, but she fought him. Her back was facing you, and the king's face was shown to you. He looked angry.

   " No! Leave me! For someone who doesn't care, you sure want to drag me back in the room! "

   " Because you need to leave! I cannot have any ties with you any longer. I need to find my wife. "

   " You. . .You bastard! "

The woman beat her fists against his chest and started to push him, but the king reversed their positions. The woman was now facing the door, and the king's back was meeting you. But she was still shoving him.