Chapter 2

SIWOO

"Jagi, sorry that I'm running late. I'll be there as soon as I can. I think I'll reach in about five minutes. Wait for me!" Hari said enthusiastically over the phone.

"Take your time, okay? Be careful," I replied as I looked out of the window at the beautiful city landscape before me. Twiddling a ring box in my fingers, I could feel my heart beating rapidly.

I had spent months planning this moment. It had to be perfect. I had carefully chosen the best location after lots of research; a place with a beautiful view. I had planned the lines I was going to say before and after I got down on one knee.

"Hari," I said in the most endearing way possible, with one leg on the ground. My best friend, Kim Minjun, winced in disgust jokingly. I wanted to laugh at his reaction, but I held back, for I was rehearsing for a very serious and important moment: a proposal.

Oh my God, just thinking of that one word "proposal" increased my heart rate. I could feel my heart beating strongly against my ribcage. Focus, I told myself. I couldn't afford to stall for so long in the real situation. It was only a rehearsal, and I was already dying from both nervousness and excitement. This feeling would only be amplified on the historical day of our relationship.

"The person I love, the one and only love for me, and... my woman. Today is a very special day. It has been seven years since I said, 'I like you.' Together, we have been through seven years of love and laughter. And I want to spend at least seventy more years with you. Kim Hari, will you marry me?"

"No," Minjun replied curtly.

I rolled my eyes and gave him a light punch. "Hey, you're supposed to act like Hari."

Minjun shrugged. "What makes you think she'll say yes? What if she rejects your proposal? How are you going to react? Are you going to punch her and say, 'Hey, you're supposed to accept my proposal!'? No, right?" He slowly walked backwards with every sentence he said.

There was a few seconds of silence before I stood up. Beckoning with my hand, I said, "Hey, you're asking for a beating, aren't you? Come here." Minjun took to his heels and hid behind different furniture whenever I neared him.

As we lay on the floor after an intense cat-and-mouse chase, reliving our high school experience, he said, "I've known you and Hari for eight years now. I'm really happy for you. Don't forget you have me as a friend, okay?"

"Don't worry, Minjun. You're number one in my heart after Hari. I may be getting married soon, but we're best buddies forever." We turned our heads to face each other, and I looked him in the eye.

"Haha, gross. Still, congrats. I hope Hari says yes."

I looked at the ring as it reflected light emitting from the ceiling. "Me too."

I had everything planned out. As soon as Hari arrived, I would pull out her chair. We would have a hearty meal as we chatted about the seven years we had spent together as a pair as if this was solely a dinner to celebrate our seventh anniversary. Then, I would surprise her by getting down on one knee and saying my lines, the lines I had been practising non-stop.

Tapping my index finger on the table repeatedly, I took deep breaths to calm myself down. I recited my speech over and over again in my head, praying that I would not slip up. This was an important moment in our relationship, and I wanted it to be the best. I wanted it to be a perfect memorable moment to look back upon in time to come.

From the restaurant, I saw a familiar red car appear on the road. My heart started racing, and my grip on the ring box tightened as I registered that my girlfriend was arriving. All of a sudden, a white car sped past the red light at the intersection and crashed into the red car. It was evident that the other car was speeding as both cars skidded quite a distance.