Chapter 4

SIWOO

"I like you."

That was the first time I had uttered that phrase to a girl. 좋아해. It was a very mystical phrase. How could a simple phrase made up of three characters affect one so much? My heart was palpitating wildly as I anticipated her reply. My palms were sweating from the nerves. Will she say yes? Or will she say no?

"I like you too," she replied.

There and then, my heart did a few somersaults. She said yes! Taking a deep breath, I repeated her response in my head. I like you too. "Today is our first day," I said with the brightest smile I had ever worn in ages.

"Yes," Hari replied. "Jagi?" she added in a questioning tone before covering her face. The tips of her ears were visibly red.

Unable to fight the urge further, I kissed her cheek and whispered, "Cute."

The scene changed, and we were holding hands in school. Having decided to break the news to our closest friends, we walked towards Minjun hand in hand.

Minjun's eyes opened wide as he pointed at us with one hand and the other covering his mouth. "Park Siwoo! How could you? How could you get a girlfriend and leave me alone?" he cried dramatically as he grabbed his best friend's arm.

"I'm sorry, Minjun. Love is love," I replied, wiping away imaginary tears. "But you are my one true love. If it's not too late, we could still run."

Minjun's face contorted in disgust just as Hari looked at her boyfriend with a pretend look of shock at his betrayal.

"That's not what I meant," Minjun replied. "I was talking about the fact that you're no longer single. How can you have a girlfriend when I'm still single? Come on!"

"Then go get yourself a girlfriend," I suggested. Just then, Heekyung walked over to find her best friend. She called out Hari's name, prompting the three of us to look in her direction. Feeling cheeky, I turned to Minjun and quipped, "Hey, don't think about it. She already has a boyfriend."

Bursting into laughter, Minjun kicked my thigh. "I wasn't thinking that, you weirdo! Why would you think that way? You also turned to look at her. Should I tell you, 'Hey, don't think about it. You already have a girlfriend.'? Sometimes, I wonder if you're an alien. I don't understand you at all."

"Are you calling me handsome? Strong? Fast? I'm honoured to be compared to Do Minjoon, the dream guy of many girls," I replied. Do Minjoon was a character from the popular drama series My Love from the Star, and he was an alien. He had stolen the hearts of many women in South Korea, including my girlfriend. When girls in America dreamed of a vampire boyfriend, girls in South Korea wanted an alien boyfriend. "Oh, you two even share a name! Do Minjoon, Kim Minjun."

Minjun rolled his eyes. "Wow, I can't argue with an aspiring prosecutor."

Hari wrapped her arms around her boyfriend's neck and replied, "Right? Our Jagi is so cool. We're going to be amazing prosecutors together!"

Rubbing his arms, Minjun said jokingly, "Ugh, I got goosebumps."

"Don't be jealous," Hari giggled.

"Hari, are you and Siwoo finally dating?" Heekyung asked, with a hand hovering over her lips. "Hey, congrats!" A gigantic smile was plastered on the two best friends' faces as they huddled and jumped on the spot. "Welcome to the dating life."

Minjun groaned in singleness, and we all laughed.

"Good morning, Jagi," Hari murmured with a beautiful smile adorning her beautiful face. We were at a 24-hour café, where we had been studying for the upcoming bar exam. Waking up to see my girlfriend's face felt like the greatest blessing at that moment.