Chapter 5

MIYEON

The day had been filled with torture. I spent the past eight hours with Jaebeom sitting in my line of sight. Every time I looked up to rest my eyes or stretch, he was there, with his head buried in work. It was so hard to intentionally avert my eyes so that I didn't see him. The one-hour lunch break I had never felt more relieving as it was the only time I could be alone.

In the past, I loved watching him go through his proposals. He seemed so passionate about his job that he shined; he looked so attractive. Sometimes, when we simultaneously looked up at each other, we would share a smile before diving back into work, feeling refreshed. It was one of those little moments I enjoyed and held close to my heart.

However, now that we had broken up, it was a painful sight. This passion for his job, no matter how commendable from a professional point of view, was the reason why our relationship had soured. This trait that I once loved about him had turned into something I hated. His obsession with his occupation utterly pissed me off.

I stretched and stood up to pack my things. After a long day of facing Jaebeom at work, I was glad to finally be able to return home, the place of comfort for my eyes and heart. At last, I didn't have to see him or speak to him again, albeit only for the next fifteen hours. Still, I had to enjoy every minute of my time spent alone!

As I made my way down to the entrance of the office building via the lift, I was soon struck with wet weather conditions. It was pouring outside, so I stopped in my tracks. People walked past me while opening their umbrellas.

I heaved a deep sigh. I didn't have the habit of bringing an umbrella with me; it was usually in my car. However, I had sent my car for maintenance and had the luxury of having the future chairman of the company I worked for, also known as my older brother, drive me to work. As such, now, when I needed it the most, I didn't have an umbrella.

I felt bad imposing on him, but he insisted. I didn't want to disturb him further, especially since he was very busy, so I decided to take public transport back home after work. Sadly, I didn't prepare for special circumstances. I never had to worry about getting drenched since I drove. Now I did.

"Here," I suddenly heard from behind me, and Jaebeom appeared at my side. In his hands was an umbrella, which he opened. He covered me with his umbrella and offered the handle to me. "Take this. I will be staying longer, so I don't need it. Maybe the rain will stop later when I go home. You can return the umbrella to me tomorrow."

My heart throbbed. It hurt that his voice sounded so cold. His actions showed that he cared, yet his words lacked the warmth he used to have when he spoke to me. I wondered why he specially made his way down to hand me an umbrella when he didn't have the need to be so concerned about my well-being.

We weren't dating anymore.

It hurt to know that I had someone who knew me so well that he knew I wouldn't be prepared to face the rain, yet this person wasn't my endgame.

For the longest time I could remember, I disliked the rain. I didn't like the feeling of water droplets hitting my skin and seeping through my clothes. I didn't like the idea of my hair getting wet from anything but clean water from the shower. The sheer thought of lacking shelter on a rainy day sent shivers down my spine.

The rain made me feel vulnerable, and I detested being in that state. First of all, rain made it easier for one to fall sick. Second, one would look weak and pitiful if they were drenched by the rain. Third, rain made clothes translucent. I'm sure I don't have to explain this part. Being the only daughter of a conglomerate, looking weak and vulnerable was the last thing I wanted.

As much as I was tempted to bite my tongue and accept the umbrella so that I didn't have to get wet, I didn't want to accept favours from him, and I didn't want anything to do with him. I also didn't want a reason to meet Jaebeom again. If I returned the umbrella to him at work, tongues would wag. And I didn't want to see him outside of work.