Chapter 5 - The Root of Time

--THE MANGLEGROVE--

The three of you had arrived at the Manglegrove, the forest that apparently nobody ever returns from

The three of you had arrived at the Manglegrove, the forest that apparently nobody ever returns from. You made your way through the forest, tiredness be damned even though it was starting to take its toll. Eventually, you made it to a small cabin with a fire pit outside.

Erik: "Look at that—a campsite, and just when we needed one. It's still a fair way to Cobblestone. Let's rest up for the night."

Y/N: "Finally! Dinner's on me, you two!"

Eleven: "You got ingredients?"

Y/N: "Yup, got them while we were in Downtown. So what do you say?"

Erik: "Well I can't argue against a free meal. Get that fire going and whip us something up."

You lit the fire and started cooking. Looking at what you had, you had an idea of what to make: a simple stew. You broke up some beef and started browning it. Once fully browned, you added in some vegetables and water before leaving it over the fire to let it simmer.

 Y/N: "And now we play the waiting game."

Erik: "How long should it take?"

Y/N: "Roughly an hour, give or take a bit. Long enough for a nice chat."

You proceeded to make small talk with each other to pass the time.

Erik: "I still can't get over old Derk. He didn't just go straight... Married, shop in the best part of town... He went straighter than straight. Just like that... We used to be thick as thieves—literally. We'd travel the world, always on the hunt for loot. Ahh, those were the days..."

Eleven: "He seems to be enjoying himself up there."

Y/N: "Just goes to show that anybody can turn their life around."

Erik: "Oh, speaking of which—I just thought of something we...acquired back then that might come in handy... Yep, I've decided—I'm giving it to you! You'll love it—we sure did when we got our hands on it!"

 Yep, I've decided—I'm giving it to you! You'll love it—we sure did when we got our hands on it!"