Chapter Two

Disclaimer: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

The next morning, Vivienne stretched out in her bed and thought back to the night before. Had it all been a weird dream?

Glancing over to see her dust covered jacket hanging over her chair, she had it confirmed for sure that everything from that night did indeed happen.

Getting out of bed, she walked the short distance from her bedroom to her kitchen and began to make herself coffee. Outside, the sound of milk trucks and newspaper rounds being flung against stoops cracked through the quiet morning air. She felt safer now, at home, in the light. At least she wouldn't have to worry about seeing any of those boys again.

She got dressed for the day, collecting her books and papers to pack into her bag. Her classes began soon and it would be a busy day. She had a big exam on the horizon, one that she needed to be ready for. Each spare moment she had would have to be spent cramming.

When she was ready to leave, she collected her coat and bag and stepped out the front door. Her foot knocked against something and she looked down. On the ground in front of her door sat a brown paper bag.

Pulling out a gold chain, she examined the necklace she was now holding. Inside, a folded note lay. She reached down and picked it up, her breath catching when she read what was inside.

Here's your thank you.

Shit. She crumpled the note in her hand and held it to her chest. Quickly, she glanced down the hallway and retreated inside, shutting the door behind her. She leaned against it.

How did they know where she lived? Had one of them followed her home?

She felt panic rising in her chest. She could have just said no, or taken a different route home. But for all her annoyance, she knew there was nothing else she could have done. Who knows what they would have done to her if she hadn't helped?

She shoved the note back into the bag and held it under her arm. Realising she had to leave for school, she quickly walked out and double locked the door behind her. As she stepped out onto the street, she walked over to the nearest trashcan and dumped the brown bag, necklace and note included, inside. She wanted to get herself as far away from any evidence that she had been involved in their trouble at all. And there was no way that she would keep what was no doubt a stolen necklace.

ONE WEEK LATER

Vivienne stood over her stove, wondering if she could stomach holding off food until tomorrow. The landlord had been chasing her for the rent, and the money she had coming in wasn't due for a couple of days yet.

She decided to bite the bullet as she went over to the fridge and grabbed an apple instead. Making her way through her bedroom and onto her fire escape, she sat in the cold Autumn air and shivered as she ate, trying to make it last as long as she could.

Outside, the sound of voices and cars filled the air. She was alone, something she was used to, but lately it had started to transition into loneliness, too. She had daily conversations with the others in her classes, but that never extended to friendship outside of school. She had made the decision long ago that it was something she couldn't allow herself. It was a self-induced punishment that she was determined to carry out for as long as she could.

When she'd finished eating her pathetic meal, she came back inside and shut the window behind her. As she did, she could have sworn she heard a knock at the door.

She waited, wondering if she had imagined it, until it came again.

Slowly, she walked over, confused as to who it could possibly be. She opened the door and almost stumbled back.