Chapter Thirty-Four

Author's Note: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

That evening, Riff watched intently as Vivienne introduced him to their new life.

He followed her, copying her and mentally trying to comprehend the various tasks that were needed. 

He tried not to wrinkle his nose when the diapers were changed. He laughed when he saw how much Sean detested bath time, kicking and screaming throughout the whole process. He watched in awe at the ease it took Vivienne to feed, change, and rock him to sleep. 

When the small bursts of fear or uncertainty rippled through him, he forced them away. But when he watched Vivienne, or sat and stared at Sean, he realised those feelings would go away on their own. 

He thought about how strange it was that something so big could also be so small.

When Sean was tucked away in the other room fast asleep, they remained in the kitchen, exhausted and beaten by the day. 

They talked until it turned late. Talked about Riff's absence, her guilt for keeping it secret. About each and every detail of the past nine months and how she kept it hidden. Riff listened, coming to grips with his own guilt that was faintly appearing for not being there.

After, Vivienne stood at the sink washing up their dishes. Outside, Riff could hear the familiar sounds that he had grown to know from all his years in the neighbourhood. It was far more welcoming that the silent nights he would encounter back at the prison. The nights that were so quiet that all he could do was lay there and listen to his own thoughts, reckoning with everything he had ever done and not done.

He now felt like he was home. It was a different home, but it was home.  

He watched her at the sink and suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to be near her. To be as close as he could and to be together like they used to. He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around, pressing his lips to her neck.

"Did I say I missed you already?" he mumbled into her skin.

"A couple of times," she teased.

"Then I'll say it again. I missed you. Every part." He took her by the hips and turned her around to face him, their faces just inches apart. Between them, the air pulsed. "Hey, can you...I mean, are you able to...you know?"

"What are you asking me?" she asked. She knew what he was asking. He laughed.

"You want me to spell it out?" he asked, his brow quirked.

"Yeah," she grinned, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Yeah?" He pressed his face against hers, speaking quietly into the space between them. "We ain't seen each other for too long. I wanna kiss you and make your knees give out like they used to. I wanna make up for all the lost time." Leaning forward, he pressed his lips softly, tauntingly against hers. When they pulled apart, he muttered, "I wanna be inside you. You want that?"

Without hesitation, she nodded. "I do," she breathed, before throwing herself at him and pressing them both together as they kissed. 

He pushed her into the counter and it pierced against her lower back hard enough to draw a gasp from her.

"Fuck, I need you," Riff growled, nipping at her ear. 

He lifted her into the air and carried her into the living room, panting breathlessly between kisses as they moved down onto the couch. He was on top of her then, pulling her down by her hips and wrestling to remove their clothes.