Punishment

Richard was decided. He was going to make life hell for Anna. He wanted to teach her that the life she was in love with had a dark side too. He quietly pulled out his file and speed-dialled Julia Hawthorne. She came at once. "Julia, I want the cheetah shoot for Analemma Wrenner today."

"But no model would do it, Ricky. And she's not even 18 yet!" Julia had liked the soft-spoken and exact girl, who had used an extra couple of minutes to thank her for her email. But her words came too late for him. He had already decided, and was too far gone.

"She will do it!" he barked at Julia. He had never been this loud. He had never felt the need to. But now he couldn't help it. He quietened a little and added — "Have it ready by ten in the Orangery, will you?"

Julia nodded meekly, muttered a "Yes, Sir." And went off. Yet again he'd heard her call him 'Sir', but this time he didn't spare it a thought. He hadn't looked at Anna throughout the conversation, but he suddenly noticed that she had not given any reaction to his announcement of the 'cheetah shoot' for her. Zoe and Julia had both gasped, and he had been surprised at his own decision. But Anna had not belayed any surprise. She stood there, politely, uncommenting, listening to each word detachedly but attentively. Richard felt a strange pang of pain as he wondered whether she'd already accepted him to be heartless. Soon enough, he felt his anger surging, enraged that this girl could take it in her stride. True, he was around two and a half years elder to her, but he couldn't think of her as he'd thought of the other models. He couldn't imagine having her in bed in some luxurious hotel, with her trying hard to please him in whatever way he wanted. She would never fall to that, he knew. Whatever he did, he could never drag her to that level. This made him feel helpless, and intensified his hatred towards her. He did not like to feel helpless.