centipedes | pre-aogiri

Genre: Fluff
Status: Edited

Kaneki heard a deafening scream that came from the kitchen. It worried him immensely that you might've gotten hurt or whatever caused you to scream, so he quickly got up from his bed and dashed to the kitchen. He found yourself crouched on top of the kitchen counter. You covered your eyes with your hands and whimpered as if you were close to bursting into tears.

"What's wrong?" Kaneki slowly walked toward you and asked in the best comforting tone he could've spoken. Instead of answering him clearly, you pointed at the fridge and mumbled words that he couldn't make out. Unlike some people who could easily get annoyed for not getting to the point, Kaneki understood that you were frightened. He walked closer to you and gently patted your back as he kept reassuring that you would be fine.

After a few minutes of being comforted by him, you calmed down and answered him with a shaky voice. "There's a centipede in the refrigerator."

Kaneki didn't think too much about the situation, so he casually opened the refrigerator and expected a small centipede. No, it was definitely not a small centipede. It was long enough to wrap itself around an apple. It was a good thing you refused to look at your surroundings because Kaneki developed goosebumps at the sight of the pest.

His gray eyes uncomfortably stared at it for a couple of seconds, until he grabbed an empty jar from one of the cabinets and successfully caught it. After he let it out of the apartment, you thanked him repeatedly for doing such a brave action.

"Thank you, Kaneki!" You exclaimed for the final time and hugged him tightly.

"You're welcome. Considering it's summer, it makes sense that there might be some house centipedes."

Your eyes widened at what he said. You didn't want to hear that at all. What you wanted was for him to say that there wouldn't be any more and that you would be safe from those disgusting pests. "That means what?"

"Don't expect for all the centipedes to just magically go away. You'll see them sometimes."

"You're supposed to comfort me, you idiot!" You whacked him on the head, and you couldn't help but feel paranoid because of his choice of words. If you became desperate to avoid seeing them, then you would have to spray the whole apartment building.

"Sorry..." He rubbed the back of his head and gave you an apologetic look. However, you didn't get to hear his apology since you already marched into another room.

"I could be wrong," he mumbled to himself and continued rubbing the back of his head. Although he was intelligent, that didn't mean he was always correct. Maybe you'll be lucky, and you wouldn't see any centipedes for the entire summer.

On second thought, he was right.

"Kaneki!" Your deafening scream was heard once again, but the black-haired male didn't worry this time. All he did was happily sigh as he came to your rescue. Of course, this was going to be tiring work. When your comical screams echoed through his ears and he laughed, that earned him a punch.

Oh, well, it was worth it because he got praised by you.

────────────────────

Thank you for a total of 100k reads! I honestly have never expected to reach this many views. Thank you so much for the support!