paradox | pre-aogiri

Genre: Fluff(?)
Status: Edited

You were frightened to go back to sleep, to invite darkness by simply lowering your eyelids. The dim room prompted you to feel more fearful to the point you considered staying up until morning. Shedding tears seemed like an option for you, but you knew it wouldn't make a drastic difference. It wouldn't make you brave nor would it take away your distress. You felt what it was like to be driven to the brink of instability.

You were deeply terrified of the flesh-eating creatures that were known as ghouls. Even though you knew it was their cruel way of surviving, you were still cautious in confronting them. You only went out during the day when there were many witnesses outside, and you never went out during the isolated night.

You dreamt about one particular person as a ghoul, who just so happened to be Kaneki Ken. There was a bond of understanding and mutual affection between the both of you. As companions, you felt a sentimental attachment to him. Nonetheless, that fact sadly didn't prevent you from having nightmares about him. He was a malicious ghoul that impersonated an ordinary human in your dream, and he was about to devour you. When you had awoken, betrayal and terror were the emotions that swirled inside of you.

The moment your fatigued eyelids were about to close due to your exhaustion, you heard a voice and a high-pitched sound from your bedroom door. "[Name], are you alright?"

"Everything's alright. Why are you asking?" The corners of your lips curved upward to convince him, but he didn't believe in your excuse. He slowly went near your side and sat on the edge of your bed.

"It was a nightmare, wasn't it?" His gray eyes visibly showed uncertainty.

"Yes, but you don't have to worry about that." Although you insisted that the nightmare didn't physically harm you, he still didn't leave your room. The only thing he did was gently stroke your cheek as a sign of genuine affection.

"I'm worried for you, but it's okay now. I'll stay by your side until you go back to sleep. Will that make you feel any better?" A sense of consolation developed inside your chest, completely overjoyed to hear those caring words spill from his mouth.

Your nightmare was truly misleading you. You knew that the merciless Kaneki Ken in your nightmare was the complete opposite from the real one. If he were human, he wouldn't do anything hateful. He was a human and not a ghoul, so what was there to worry about?

"Thank you so much." He didn't reply after you thanked him. He had a smile plastered on his features as he stayed beside you for the rest of the serene night.

If he were human, if he were who'd you assume, then you presumed he wouldn't do anything detestable to the eyes of society.