11 - Fireball XL5 lowndown/A Spy In Space

Fireball XL5 was a long, sleek spacecraft, with one main nozzle engine at the back

Fireball XL5 was a long, sleek spacecraft, with one main nozzle engine at the back. Two smaller rockets were fitted to each of the what can only be described as shield-like fins, which were at the end of each of the wings of the spacecraf. Running almost the entire length of the spacecraft is a tail fin. Seven windows run along each side of the fuselage, stopping just at the beginning of the tail fin. Towards the top of Fireball XL5 is a glass observation dome, sitting on top. 

Fireball XL5 is split into two halves, the main half as described and then a smaller section which is the control cabin. This is called 'Fireball Junior'. It has large windows at the front, which run along part of the side, giving a wide area of view, and four fins which run nearly the entire length of t, which enable it to fly to any planets with an atmosphere. Apart from being the control cabin, Fireball Junior acts as a landing vehicle. It detaches from the main body of Fireball XL5 and lands on planets (using rockets and landing legs), while the main part of the spacecraft remains in orbit. There are two large doors either side of Fireball Junior providing access.

Fireball XL5 is a fully-equipped spacecraft. The control cabin, Fireball Junior, has two pilot seats - one for Steve Zodiac and the other one for Robert the Robot. There is one box control panel at the side of each, slightly raised with a further panel beneath it. A longer panel runs across the front of the control cabin with a viewing screen in the centre. Control of the spacecraft is by control columns, one to each pilot seat, rather like handlebars. The front of the control cabin is basically a metal framework, covered in glass (in the puppet set of the cabin there is obviously no glass, just the framework). A hatch at the rear of the control cabin leads to the back of Fireball Junior, and the two doors, and to the main body of Fireball XL5.

The main body of Fireball XL5 has a navigation bay, where Matt Matic plots courses for Steve Zodiac to take. His equipment includes a radarscope, like conventional earth radar, and an Astroscope, which provides the spacecraft with pictures of the area they are searching. Professor Mathew Matic also has a Spacemascope, which again gives pictures of the area. One other device used by both the crew of Fireball XL5 and other craft is the neutroni transmitting system, a sort of radio system for use in space. Aside from the navigation bay, Fireball XL5 also has a lounge, accommodation for the crew, a laboratory for Venus, a Space Gyro Room, and a Space Jail.

The two main doors in Fireball Junior are mainly used, but there is also an ejection tube where one person at a time can eject into space. There are three other important pieces of equipment. First there are the ray guns with capsules of energy. Second are the thrust packs, which strap to the crew's backs, and which enable them to manoeuvre in space. Third are their jetmobiles. These are like motorcycles, but they are used in space and on land. They hover and have a main viewing screen built into the main steering head. Finally, there are the oxygen pills. These enable the crew to go into space, or anywhere else without oxygen, without the need for space suits. Another possible exit way is through an elevated ladder that will allow a person to descend and ascend on or off the ship.

Fireball XL5 is launched from the launch rail at Space City by rocket boosters attached to the launch platform. The spacecraft is positioned onto the rocket boosters on take-off. The boosters and the main engine of Fireball XL5 are fired, sending the boosters down the launch rail, with the craft attached. Just before the end of the rail, having picked up enough speed, Fireball XL5 separates from the rocket boosters and takes off. On return to Space City, Fireball XL5 uses retro-rockets to land vertically, landing on a pad where crane cradles pick it up and move it back onto the launch ramp, ready for take-off again - text information from "Fireball XL5 overview".

Throughout the series and spin-off media, we see a number of Fireball ships across the series; XL1 (+ XL1 Alpha), SR1, XL2, XL3 (piloted by someone named Conrad Turner), XL5, XL7, XL9, XL18, XL19 XL24, and XL27. XL1 was destroyed by Captain Ken Ross after a failed attempted takeoff. The reason for this was that a space missile with an assumed payload of a Planetomic warhead was heading for earth and no other ships were available to destroy it, so XL1 Alpha was rolled out. XL1 A had been refitted for an ejection equipment test before takeoff but no maintenance had been done to the ship's rocket boosters due to the urgency of the situation. They failed to provide enough lift to clear the launch rail and XL1 Alpha crashed shortly beyond the hill. There was nothing salvageable from the remains but Ross survived thanks to the ejection gear. XL2 was destroyed by the Space Monster on Monotane and its crew Captain Ken Johnson and Co-Pilot Al Stomper trapped on the planet with the creature.

XL5's main engine is not intended to be run continuously at full power for extended periods of time. If this is done, the engine will eventually overheat and explode, although not in the totally catastrophic manner you might expect. A fire extinguisher is recommended for dealing with any internal fires caused by the explosion. Fortunately, the fire extinguisher is such a simple piece of equipment that even a Lazoon can operate one.

A SPY IN SPACE;

Written by Alan Fennell

Directed by Alan Pattillo

Original UK Airdate: 25th November 1962 (ATV London, Scottish, Anglia, Westward and Channel)

Additional Voice Cast:

Boris Space Spy David Graham Griselda Space Spy Sylvia Anderson XL9 Pilot Paul Maxwell 

Although Steve Clearly knows who Boris and Griselda Space Spy are, the crew have not met them before. So this episode must be seen before Flying Zodiac, Convict In Space, and Space Pen, in which the villains also appear. Just before the commercial break, a real hand is seen when the Space Spies hold the XL5 crew at gunpoint. We also get a glimpse to see Fireball XL9 in this episode, but this episode is pretty bog-standard Fireball XL5. We get some cool spaceships, but nothing to really say notable about this story other than being Griselda and Boris' first major debut. The pair appear for a block of episodes in the series at once, making them appear consistently through a run of episodes. Their appearances were not meant to be in this order, but much like the Subterrainians, their appearances were intended to be more sporadic across the series.