Chapter Four

She had two weeks. I read her file, she had a terminal Illness, a type of brain cancer. Since she had refused treatment, it was virtually a slow suicide. I visited her as often as possible, given I was handed her case early, I had the time to get to know her. I don't know why they handed me her case two weeks in advance. Before her, the longest I had spent with a client was five days, in which I spent most of the duration watching from the shadows.
Nora told me about her life before the cancer diagnosis. How she had friends from all over her city. She was well liked, and her parents had given her everything. She was applying to Some of the top colleges when the results came in. It changed everything.
I had never taken the time to actually hear about someone's mortal life. Either I never got the chance, or I just didn't care enough. But she showed me a whole new side to being mortal. I started looking forward to seeing her, and holding her as she cried. She made me warm. And not just physically, mentlally as well. My heart would flutter at the thought of her playing with my hair, braiding in the bright, fresh flowers she picked from the hospital's garden. My pale skin was nearly transparent in the summer light. She would tell me stories as she cuddled in my cloak, and would drift off to sleep when I hummed. She made me feel.
I'm not sure what, but I felt it.

"Nora!" I called, sweeping the room with my eyes. She had opened the curtains, letting the light seep in through the windows. I smiled, noticing the backdoor to her hospital room was opened. Her parents had been kind enough to purchase a hospital room near the garden she had explained. I found it sad how emotionally distant they where with her, yet they tossed around money for her like it was nothing.
I walked through the open door, into the hospital's garden. Sure enough, I found Nora crouched down on the gravel path, examining a pink peony. "Hey beautiful," I kneeled down with her, looking over the flower. Her face was scrunched up in concentration. "Whatcha up to?" She smiled. Her hair had been put in a bun today, the relentless curls poking out from the sides. Her dress flowed down, spewing out around her as she sat. "Can you take flowers into the Silent realm?" I shook my head. "No, nothing alive can survive there Nor." She smiled at the nickname.
"Nor?" She giggled, handing me the flower. I blushed, embarrassed I let it slip. She leaned in, kissing my cheek, making me blush even harder. I loved how she made me feel.
"You're so cute when you get all flustered." I forgot how she made me blush. I quickly composed myself, frowning. "I'm not supposed to be cute, I'm a Reaper. Im scary." Nora let out a snort of laughter, patting my head like a puppy. "Well, then you're my scary Reaper." I grinned, pulling her onto my lap. She climbed in my arms,resting her head on my shoulder with a sigh. We sat together, watching the bee's hum with the flowers.
"Maybe I should do chemo." She mumbled.
My heart did a dance in my chest. "Chemo?" I asked, playing with her curls. She nodded. We sat in silence, the sun kissing our pale skin. "I want to live, Lamia. I finally have a reason." I felt my soul flutter, dancing with my heart for the first time.