Chapter 7

Chapter 7

DECEMBER 29

Chris awoke the next morning with a new vision of what his life would be when he returned to New York. He looked down at Madison while she slept and thought again about trying to find a way to bring her back with him. Was it even possible? How would he explain her to his friends? Family? The bedside clock read 10:00. A little later than he thought. Surely Arthur had cleaned up the park by now. "Hey, Madison," Chris whispered in her ear. "I have to go."

"No, stay here with me," she whined.

"I'm sorry, I really have to go. I promise you to come back as soon as I can."

"Where are you going?"

"I need to go see Arthur. Just want to be sure that he's fine."

Chris knew that if their plan had worked like it should, then he would be coming back to see Madison. He would never leave without saying good-bye. He left Madison's house and walked directly to the hotel, where he hoped to still meet Arthur for breakfast. On his way, he passed Dan, sleeping on a park bench. "Dan? Come on, wake up! Why aren't you at home?"

"Chris, how are you, my friend?" Dan was obviously hung over. "I was on my way home, but this seemed as good a place as any. If you're looking for Arthur, I don't think he's at the hotel."

"I know, he's supposed to be in the park."

"Yes, that is where he is − in the park."

Chris decided to go to the park instead. As he expected, when he arrived, everything was clean, but he didn't see Arthur. Finally, he found him lying on a bench with the Santa suit jacket draped over him.

"Arthur. Arthur. Arthur!" Chris shook Arthur's shoulder the last time.

Arthur stirred and blearily looked up at Chris. "Oh, hey, Chris." Arthur sat up and looked around at the park. "What happened?"

"What do you mean, 'what happened'?"

Arthur stood and spun in a circle on his heel with his arms stretched out at his sides. "I mean this! Where is everything?"

"You mean, you didn't clean it?"

"No. I haven't moved from that bench since I fell asleep last night ... or this morning ... or whenever it was."

"If you didn't do it, that means the door isn't open."

Arthur sat back down on the bench. Chris joined him. "What'll we do now?" Arthur asked.

Chris shrugged and shook his head. After a few moments he stood. "Let's head back to the hotel."

Madison watched them go from behind the giant tree. When Chris had told her this morning he could not stay, she got out of bed, dressed, and followed him. She was intrigued by the men's conversation about the arch and New York. She understood that they came from somewhere else, but never understood how they got here. She still wasn't sure that she understood completely. The only thing she could do was help Chris and hope it all worked the way he appeared to need it to. She ran to the hotel. When she arrived she didn't see them in the lobby, so she took the elevator to their floor. She stepped off the elevator, headed down the hall and knocked on the room door. The voices inside the room stopped and in a few moments Chris opened the door. "Madison." He seemed surprised to see her. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"I will follow you wherever you go."

"Okay, but I don't think you really know what that will mean," Chris said as he led her inside and closed the door.