Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The New Year

It was early in the morning and Chris was still asleep when the buzzer at the front door woke him up. It took Chris a little while to realize that he was in his bed, Patchee sleeping on the bed corner, then he dragged his feet to the door and pressed the release. A few moments later, Shiraz arrived with Raphael. "Hey, Chris, where were you? I've called you four times since the Christmas Eve. You didn't answer your cell phone."

"I know. A lot has happened since that night."

"Really? What, tell me?"

Chris did not want to tell the truth. He didn't want to lie to his sister, but he knew that his story was only going to make him look like a fool. "I've been sick, really sick. I bought a cat, perhaps it's an allergy. But I'm fine now."

"Well, you surely look tired. Let me make a big pot of coffee." Shiraz went to the kitchen, leaving Chris alone with Raphael.

"Hey, Uncle Chris, is it better for me not to be close to you so I don't get sick?"

"Raphael, what if I told you that I am not sick, and that I was really inside Merryville?"

"You were inside Merryville? Wow!"

"Yes, since you left my apartment on the 24th until early this morning."

"Did you talk with Franklin?"

"Yes, he was there, and he was not at all like I expected. He is poor, but he doesn't look like a street man, and you know what? He speaks French."

"That is not strange, Uncle Chris. I already knew that. I was practicing my French at school with him, so I decided that he was French to help me. You know, some parents buy cats or dogs to help kids talk. Well, I can't bring a cat or a dog at school, so I brought Franklin. I'm less shy to practice with him than a real person. Also, I wanted him to be an adventure guy, just like I would like to be one day."

Chris realized that he was not the only one who could put a story in Merryville. Raphael did it too. Franklin's story was mixed between Raphael's and Chris's.

Shiraz came back with the coffee and asked him what he was planning for the next days. Chris just wanted to relax, and get some time free, and maybe write a book. He thought a story about Merryville might be good to share with the world. Maybe his own story.

"Oh, Chris, there was a note for you on the table."

It was from Arthur:

It was a pleasure to meet you in Merryville. I'm really sorry for Madison. I really have to go. I miss my family so much. I left you my number in case you want to call me one day. Thank you so much for helping me! Arthur

"Who is Arthur?" Shiraz asked.

"He is an old friend who needed help with something."

"Okay, but you met him in Merryville? That's your village right?"

"It is just an inside joke. I told him I named my apartment Merryville when we were drunk yesterday day."

"Oh, okay. Hey, speaking of your village, I'm sorry you did not win this year."

"How do you know?"

"I saw Joe's article."

"Oh, what does it say?"

"Well, it says that it was a close battle, and he wrote a little something about you since you've won the last ten years. It says that the woman's village who won this time had a personality because of her giant village's door saying Welcome to CarpenCity. Joe also liked her new character which brought us into more modern times, like Forest, the computer guy, and Maya Bolten, the singer. And you know what is funny? I think that the winner is your neighbor."

"Wow! That is so weird, but it explains everything."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing, nothing." Chris smiled, impressed once again by the power of the arch.

Someone knocked at the door. This time, it was Nicklas, who had remembered he was coming to see Chris on January first.

"Let's all go out for a coffee. Yes! I like coffee places!" Chris said.

The next few days, Chris rented a cottage in the north, and took some weeks to write a book about his adventure. He discovered the pleasure of cooking for people, and that he liked receiving his sister and friends on the weekend. Arthur visited him sometimes with his family. Two months later, he returned to his apartment in Manhattan and his normal life.