Chapter 9

Chapter 9

DECEMBER 31

The sky was clear and blue the next morning. As they sat around Madison's dining room table, once more, enjoying breakfast and coffee, Arthur told Chris and Madison about Dan's offer to help with a carriage or horses, and that he was supposed to meet Dan to find out what he'd been able to arrange. "So, what have you come up with about Mario?" Arthur asked.

Chris set his coffee mug on the table with a clunk.

"You haven't thought of anything, have you?" Arthur persisted.

Chris looked at him with an eyebrow higher than the other and said nothing. Arthur ruminate, he saw this look from Chris already. "Is that the 'I don't want to tell you' look?"

"You know me well now, but if you know me well, it means you know it is better for you not to know."

"Yes... hum, no. I don't know anymore, but since what you have in mind might be the difference between getting me home or staying here forever, I kinda think would like to know what you have in mind."

"I totally understand what you think, but you're going to have to trust me on that one."

"And what if it is not working? Any plan B? I guess I better not think about that or I'll be crazy for the rest of the day."

"It appears that way," Chris replied. "Believe me, I'm trying to keep calm too, but it is normal to have that little stress inside. Gosh, all that coffee won't help, we better stop drinking it right now. Let's change our mind and stop talking about tonight."

"Fair enough. I suppose we need to go see Dan, then."

When they arrived at Dan's shop, there was a note on the door saying it was closed for the day. "What do we do now?" Arthur said.

"Well, you were with him last night. Are you sure he said to meet him here?" Chris asked.

Arthur rubbed his forehead with the back of his hand. "I really don't remember. I don't think so."

"Well, where would he be if he wasn't at the shop?" Madison asked. "At home?"

"Possibly," Arthur replied. "Let's try Miss Florence first."

On their way to find Miss Florence, Chris heard her voice coming from a big party tent, east of City Hall. When they entered, they found Miss Florence there with Dan and some other villagers with plates full of free brunch organized by the city. The three filled their own plates and joined the crowd. It took a while before they could get close enough to Dan to ask about the carriage arrangements.

"Hey, Dan," Arthur greeted. "Have you been able to set up the ride we discussed last night?"

"Yes, everything's ready."

"What do you mean everything?"

"Linus lives in the rich neighborhood and has a few horses. One day, he needed a dress suit and he had no money on him. So I gave him one. In exchange, he told me that anytime I would like a ride I just have to go ask. So, he will have everything you need ready for you tonight. I will have more details about where it will be later."

"Thanks a lot, Dan."

"My pleasure!"

The ride was set up, Chris still didn't have a plan for Mario, but Madison was ready to leave. There was nothing more they could do but wait until the night.

An hour later, the three of them were back in the living room looking at the clock. Chris was trying not to think about what could happen if he did not go back home. It just would not leave his mind. He'd really enjoyed his holidays in Merryville, but he had a life in New York, and he was ready to go back to it. Madison entered the living room from the kitchen and couldn't stand how dejected Chris and Arthur seemed. "Hey, guys. I have an idea."