Chapter 11

Chapter 11

One year later...

December 24th, Chris sat in his apartment with Arthur and wife and kid and the rest of his family and friends around Chris's Christmas tree, which sparkled and twinkled.

It was time to play Santa Claus and give out the presents. Nicklas called the names, reading who each gift was for and from whom. Surprisingly, many of the gifts were given by Chris. Chris enjoyed the happy reactions of his family and friends when they opened their gifts, most of them shocked to get something from him. His sister received a $500 gift certificate to an electronic shop, and he gave Raphael a Big Wheel, something he had enjoyed as a child -- everyone had something. While Chris knew that Christmas was not just about gifts, he really wanted to make up for his past mistakes.

Later that night, people were drinking and mingling, and Shiraz went to see the famous village. She stood in front of it with her brother a little while before saying: "Hey, Chris, is it me or there is no difference this year?"

"You're right. I haven't touched it since last year."

"You mean you left it there?"

"That's right."

"Don't you want to win the prize for the best village?"

"You know, it is time for others to win."

"Well, you've changed a lot this year, but I like it. So the spending on Christmas village stuff has finally come to an end?"

"Almost, I admit that I've bought two things that were missing, but there will be nothing more."

"What are they?"

"There is that piece right there, a small prison where I put a little man in it. The other piece is that figurine right here, a new character named Pierre."

"What is his story?"

"Well, the man in the prison is Russell, the old driver of the people's carriage, and because the villagers needed someone to take care of that job, I bought Pierre. He is also married to Lilou's mother." He pointed to the girl near the school.

"That is really sweet, Chris."

"Thank you."

It was twenty to midnight and Chris politely ushered everyone out. Before he left, Nicklas asked him why he ended the party so early. Chris simply answered he had a date with a woman. No one protested after that.

"When are we going to see that woman, Chris?"

"Really soon, Nicklas, really soon!"

The last guest to leave was Arthur.

"Arthur, here's my apartment key so you can feed Patchee, and, you know, just in case...."

"Chris, don't worry. Everything is going to be fine. You know how it works and I'm sure this year's story can't disturb. Now go!"

Arthur closed the door. Chris was alone walking into his apartment as the midnight bell rang. He took a picture in his pocket. The picture of him and Madison from last year. A light appeared in the room where was Merryville. The arch was glowing and Chris stepped through it.

The end.

MERRYVILLE

A story by:

F.A. Jacques ©

Special thanks to Darlene Oakley,

Annie Bellemare and MAXMART