Chapter X

Two days later we arrive in Asakusa. The buildings are all so tall and it's bright even though it's nighttime. There are so many people and we're unused to this environment. We all get overwhelmed by everything.

"Um... let's go over here," Tanjiro says as he pulls Nezuko along towards a less busy area with an udon stand.

"I'm starving," I say to Tanjiro as we sit at the bench. "I'm going to get some udon. You want some?"

"Yeah."

I walk up to the udon stand. "Three udon please."

"Coming right up," the man says as he hands me two green teas.

After a couple of minutes, he hands me the udon and I hand him the money. I bring the udon over to where we were sitting and hand one to Tanjiro and eat the other two. I'm so hungry that I eat both within ten minutes. That's when I smell the same very sweet scent I smelled when our family was killed. Tanjiro drops the bowl on the floor, shattering it. I say into Tanjiro's head as we start to run towards the scent, You smell it too, Kibutsuji Muzan. I read his mind as we talk in our minds, Yes.

We run through the crowd, pushing people out of the way and they give us dirty looks. We follow the scent till we get to a man in a black suit and a white hat. Tanjiro grabs his left shoulder and I grab his right.

He turns to face us and the first thing I notice is his red eyes. He looks confused and looks between Tanjiro and me.

That's when we hear a young girl say, "Daddy! Who are they?"

I keep the tether between Tanjiro and I open listening and responding to his thoughts. This guy, it's him! It's him!

He's pretending to be human, I respond.

"Is there something I can do for you two? You appear to be quite distraught," Kibutsuji says.

A woman comes up from behind him and asks, "Oh dear, what's wrong?"

"Mommy!" The girl shouts.

They're human. Both of them, I communicate.

Don't they understand? He's a demon, he eats people, Tanjiro thinks.

They don't have as good of a nose as us. He seems to put on a good act.

"Do you know these two?" the woman asks.

"No. Not at all. What a nuisance. I don't know them at all. Perhaps they've mistaken me for someone else?"

Um. You know me, I say into his mind.

What does she mean by that? he thinks.

You chatted with me through the telepathy thing you have.

He slashes someone with his hand and I cut the connection talking with Tanjiro now.

"Oh, really?" the woman asks.

Tanjiro, that man clutching the back of his neck, watch him.

The man turns into a demon and bites his significant other.

"Stop!" Tanjiro shouts running towards them wrapping the scarf he had on around his hand.

Tanjiro tackles the man from on top of the woman, shoving his wrapped hand in the man's mouth, landing on top.

"Ma'am, don't worry about him and take care of yourself!"

I rush over to her and take off my scarf, pushing down on her wound. I wonder if I can heal her by giving her a drop of blood. I bite my pinky and a drop of blood wells up. I quickly remove the scarf and let the drop get in her blood.