Painful Watching

I wish I could've said one more thing to you before you were gone. Maybe two things, or maybe even a million.

Daniela understood why Dolores would associate and favor such a place.

The cave had a sense of serenity filling the hushed atmosphere. Everything outside was muffled, shut out.

Which is why, neither Daniela nor Camilo heard the footsteps leading up to the entrance.

"You're so cute when you laugh," Camilo cooed, tucking hair behind Daniela's ears. "Guess you're lucky I have a funny boyfriend," She shrugged, grinning. But suddenly, Camilo's shoulders rose up, his chin tilted up as if he was trying to hear something in the distance. "Is everything okay?"

He didn't answer. Daniela slowly turned her head around, and that's when she heard it too. Someone was coming.

"Oh, shit, we have to-" Camilo panickedly picked Daniela up by her hand as he rushed down the cramped pathways, leading them deeper into the cave. They could barely see where they were going, the dim light from the half-way melted candle Camilo held was no help. "There's no where to hide, I've been down this way before. We have to turn back, there's a better spot-" Daniela shook her head. "Whoever that was is probably already in the cave by now, it's useless. We're just going to have to get caught, Cami-" "No, no. I can't lose you again. If Abuela finds out, she'll- she'll kick you out of Encanto or something, and then you're gone forever." He protested, his eyebrows furrowed.

Daniela felt her throat tighten up. She was already leaving anyway.

"I have a plan. Stick close behind me." He instructed. With a swift spin, Camilo shape-shifted into a stubby, red-headed teenage boy. He quickly led them back into the candle-lit opening where their date had been interrupted. He pointed to a gap between two boulders, a perfect fit for Daniela to sneak behind. She gave him a doubtful look, but he nodded assuringly. She trusted him.

Daniela peered through the open space in the slot she was hidden behind. Only her eyes would be visible to whoever spotted her.

"Camilo?"

It was Maria. She looked tired, as if her being here disrupted the time she could use sleeping.

Camilo had shape shifted back to himself now, Daniela didn't know if that was dumb or not, but once again, she trusted him.

"Maria? How did you-" "Why are you here...it's so late..." She questioned, hesitantly taking in her surroundings; the leftovers of their romantic evening.

Maria frowned, her choppy bangs falling in front of her eyelashes. "Is that skank with you?"

Her bitter words caught Camilo and Daniela off guard. Daniela felt rage and offense flood through her veins, but she stayed silent. Hidden.

Camilo cleared his throat, rubbing his forehead. Part of Dani wanted him to defend her, but she knew that would not be helpful in this situation, to either of them. "I-I'm sorry?" He grunted. Maria walked around, trying to locate where she thought Daniela might be hiding. "Ms. Rojas." She mocked her last name. "I know she's here, Camilo."

Camilo shook his head. Luckily, Maria was searching on the other side of the cave walls, there was no way she could find her. But, as if she was reading Daniela's mind, she instantly switched her view and walked over to exactly where she was hidden. Daniela abruptly ducked, digging her fingernails into her hand as she bit her tounge.

Please don't see me. Please don't see me.

"How did you find your way up here? You weren't supposed to come until morning." Camilo interrupted her detecting. Daniela's head perked up in interest. Where was he going with this?

"What do you mean," Maria turned away, crossing her arms. She sounded evil. No match for  Camilo. "Well, as you can tell, I need to replace these candles, and... I needed to get us snacks, of course. Didn't have time to, because uh, well I wasn't expecting you to be here so soon."

Daniela smiled. How could she ever doubt Camilo's wits?

Maria raised an eyebrow, intruiged. "You set this up for... us?" "Mhm."

Actually, he had set it up for her. For them. But he had to play a long.

"Oh, Cami, I'm so sorry I doubted you. You're such a sweetheart." Maria threw her arms around him, kissing the side of his head. Daniela's smile instantly dropped. That was her nickname for him.

"Yeah, yeah. Go back to bed, hermosa. I'll have to schedule another surprise date for us, since this one was busted." He said, gently pushing her off him. "Hermosa?" Daniela muttered to herself so only she could hear. She wanted to kick the barrier down between her and them. To kick Maria in her gut.

That was her  boyfriend. That was what he called her. And it was extremely hurtful to watch him call another girl that, whether he meant it or not. "Te amo, Cami." Maria admiringly told him. Daniela sucked in a painful breath, clenching her heart. She noticed Camilo's eyes glance over to where she would be, if there wasn't a giant rock covering her. "Te... amo," He mumbled, and Maria gleefully kissed his cheek before she skipped out.

Daniela waited, silently. She heard Maria say something to someone outside the cave. "See, I told you he was alone. It was stupid for us to follow him up here," "Daniela wasn't in sight? You're positive?"

It was Abuela's voice. Of course it was. She had made Maria follow Camilo up here. Did they see her with him?

She waited for their footsteps to trail down the hills before she jumped out. Daniela didn't notice it, but her cheeks were red with frustration. "That was a close o-"

"I love you?! On the fourth day?!" She scolded, her face hot. "Dani, I didn't mean it. You know that." He defended, placing a calming hand on her shoulders. She crossed her arms. "You still said it." He pulled her in for a hug. "You're the only one I could ever love. I will try everything to get you back, publicly, and get rid of her." He soothed, Daniela sniffling in his arms. He pulled away and kissed her softly, making the jealousy in her fade away almost instantly.

"I love you." She said. "I love you more."