chapter two

"For the project I'm doing J-Lo, what about you?" Noel said as they sat at lunch. "I'm doing Usher." Yumi told her.

Maddie tuned out there conversation, her eyes stuck on Evie Zamora. 

As the brunette started to leave Tracy jumped up. "I gotta go to the bathroom." Maddie watched as she followed Evie.

"Who did you do?" Noel asked, making Maddie look back. "Eminem." 

The two younger girls nodded. "That's cool." Yumi told her. 

Tracy got back to the table with a big grin. "Maddie guess what?" She said as she pulled her to the side. 

"What?" She held out a piece of paper. "I got Evie Zamora's number." Maddie's eyes went wide and felt slightly jealous. "Seriously?"

Tracy giggled. "She invited me to go shopping on Melrose." She said excited. "She also said that you should come."

Now Maddie was excited. "Your joking." Tracy shook her head. "Meet me there after school."

_________

Maddie had been waiting for Tracy for a half hour but she still hadn't showed up. She sighed and went into Red Balls on her own.

"Evie." She said as she walked up to her. Evie turned to the girl with a smile. "Hey Maddie you made it, this is Astrid." 

She had hoped even though she was just messing with the blonde girl that her friend, Maddie, would still make it. 

The girls said a small hi before going back to shopping. "This necklace would look amazing on you." Evie said, holding a small cross necklace up to Maddie.

"You think so?" Evie nodded and dropped the jewelry into her purse. Maddie wasn't new to the idea of stealing expensive clothes. She had always done it.

But the idea that Evie had picked something out for her and stealing it for her made her stomach flutter.

"Oh my god, look at these jeans." Astrid smirked holding up a pair. "The ones without pockets make your ass look better." Evie told her.

Maddie nodded in agreement as she looked at a different rack. "Hi, I tried calling you, but I was coming here anyways, so..." 

The voice of Tracy made Maddie walk back over. She watched as Evie and Astrid shared a look, trying not to laugh.

"Oh, my phone didn't ring." Evie giggled before turning around. Maddie frowned at her words. "C'mon Trace." She said tugging on the girls hand.

They stopped at a shelf and Tracy groaned. "Shit guys, I only brought ten bucks."

Evie and Astrid laughed. The brunette showed her a pair of panties and then stuffed them into her purse. 

They went through the other stuff on the shelf, shoving whatever they could into their bags and pockets. Evie tossed Maddie a bedazzled lighter with a smirk.

She glanced at the workers before putting it in her bag. Tracy looked between the three  uncomfortably.

"I'm gonna go get a drink of water." She said started towards the door. "Trace wait-" Maddie tried but she was already gone. "Loser." Astrid muttered, earning a glare.

She wanted to chase after Tracy, she should've. But hanging out with Evie Zamora was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and she wasn't gonna miss it.

The girls went through the store, grabbing some more jewelry and a few shirts before running out of the store. 

"Not bad for like thirty minutes." Evie said once they got to the side of the building. "Sales clerk didn't see shit." Astrid smirked.

Evie pulled the necklace out of her purse. "C'mere." Maddie pulled her hair to the front as she clipped the neckace. Shivering as the girls breath fanned her neck. "It looks great."

"You guys-" Tracy shouted running back to them. "Wait, wait, watch." Evie said playing with the lighter in her face.

Tracy rolled her eyes, shoving Astrid's bracelet from her face. "You guys, I totally just stole this."

The girls all looked to see a large wallet in her hand. Maddie couldn't help but feel guilty. Tracy was a good kid, and she promised Mel and Mason to make sure she stayed out of this stuff.

"No fucking way." Astrid exclaimed in shock. "From this lady over there." Tracy smiled, proud.

"Have you seen what's in it?" Evie asked as she unzipped it, Tracy shook her head. "Holy shit." Maddie said at the sight of a stack of 100s.

Her worry immediately faded away. "I don't think I've ever seen this much money in my life." Evie said looking over the bills.

"Let's go shopping!" Tracy cheered. "Hell yeah!" Maddie agreed before took off down Melrose.

First they stopped in a shoe store, basically grabbing any pair that was in their size. "That should cover that, keep the change." Tracy smirked.

They ran out of the store, laughing and making comments to every person they passed. 

Finally they all sat on a bench, Tracy passed out cigarettes to all of them. Evie turned Maddie's head to face her before lighting her cigarette.

The girls kept their eyes contact until Astrid turned Evie to place on a pair of sunglasses they had taken.

_________

Tracy and Maddie got back to the Freeland house, still buzzing with the rush of stealing.

"Hey, Mason." Tracy started as each girl leaned on a side of his door frame. "Just out of curiosity, who do you think is the hottest girl in school?"

Mason looked between them. "I guess, uh, Evie Zamora." The girls grinned. "Guess who we hung out with today?" Maddie said.

"Bull, maybe Mads but definitely not you." He said. "Melrose Avenue." Tracy said. Mason rose a brow. "God, it's that hard to believe?"

Tracy stormed back to her room. Maddie chuckled and walked all the way into Mason's room. "It's not bull you know."

"I can't believe it." He told her. She smirked, dangling the necklace Evie had picked out in his face. "Believe it."

He shook his head at her. "Wow, that mean your gonna be ditching me to be the new it girl?" She giggled, kissing his cheek. "Never gonna happen Mason."

With that she grabbed her bags and walked back to her own house. She was supposed to have dinner with Fiona.

"Fi, I'm home." She called when she got inside the house. "In the kitchen!" Fiona yelled back.

Maddie set her bags on the floor and gave Fiona a small hug. "You're in a good mood." Fiona chuckled as she sat at the table.

"Did you get a new necklace?" Maddie nodded, playing with the cross. "You and Mason go out then?"

Maddie shook her head. "No, me and Tracy went with this girl Evie." Fiona gave her a look. "Evie?" 

"She's this girl from school." Maddie said, with a faint blush. "Did Evie buy you all this stuff?" Fiona gestured to the bags. "Because I know you and Tracy don't have the money for that."

"She did actually." Maddie lied. "Alright, well I want to meet this Evie girl." She groaned. "Why?"

Fiona sighed. "If you gonna be hanging out with her all the time I think I have the right to meet the girl."

"Fine." Maddie said, taking a bite of her spagetti. "I'll bring her over soon." She smiled at thought of Evie.