35. Bon voyage

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

JAHA IS EVEN MORE CRAZY THAN HE WAS BEFORE. He'd been working this entire time with the bitch in red to form ‘a better world.’ It's unbelievable. However, she has to remind herself this is the same man who'd sent one hundred teenagers to what was believed to be a radioactive planet. He was never quite sane. Was he? Neither Ainsley nor John stayed very long after they'd found out. They both stormed off towards the beach, where the discarded rowboat is. 

Of course it wasn't going to be that easy. It didn't take but two seconds for Jaha to leave the comfort of the mansion and follow them. A large boat was waiting for him, although he didn't approach it. He told the grounder, Gideon, he'd be right there before he'd turned to Ainsley and John. 

“I'm sorry we kept you both in the bunker, John. Is that what you want to hear?” Jaha ‘apologizes,’ though it sounds as sincere as if someone said ‘sorry I killed your dog.’ “With all the things we had to do, I needed more time.” 

“Yeah,” John says, his tone biting. “I could tell you were pretty busy back there.” 

“We converted a nuclear warhead into a power source. With the added power, Allie was able to complete the work she'd begun with her creator 100 years ago.” 

Ainsley scoffs. “And you expect us to believe that propaganda? Do we look like idiots to you?” 

“It doesn't matter,” John promises. “We're still leaving in the rowboat.” 

He said he needed them. While it was nice to feel like someone needed them, she couldn't shake the nagging feeling in the back of her skull. Something is wrong. Very wrong with him, and Ainsley couldn't stop thinking now about Craig, about Richards. Besides, who'd she be if she just followed him blindly? She's always trusted her own gut more than anyone. If it hadn't been for John, she'd have stayed at camp. There, she'd known what to expect, at least. 

She crosses her arms, staring him down. The man went on and on, bringing two weird looking chips with an infinity symbol on it out of his pocket, and presenting them to Ainsley and John. 

“I can tell you all about the City of Light, but you won't understand unless you experience it for yourselves.” 

“And that's supposed to take us to the City of Light?” John questions dubiously, glancing at the chips but not taking it. 

Jaha nods. “No pain, no hate, no envy.” 

“No,” the two say in unison.