[01] The Winds Change Their Course

Note: This happens BEFORE the traveler arrives in Teyvat 

(Y/N) = Your Name

___________

A pair of eyes blinked, staring right at you in curiosity. They shone a warm yellow color, just like amber, with a diamond-shaped pupil in the center. It reminded you of a cat's with the way they slanted upwards ever so slightly, but you know very well that these did not belong to a cat at all.

Suddenly, you heard the sound of wings flapping, and then the sight of golden feathers rocking side by side as they fell slowly. You blinked, the eyes staring at you were gone. 

"(Y/N)..."

You looked around, the feathers were gone too. 

"(Y/N)!" 

The sound of a drink-filled glass slamming the table forced you out of your trance, and noises of chatter everywhere filled your ears. By the time you realized what happened, you were face to face with another pair of eyes. This time, they were much angrier, and nothing like the ones you just saw. 

"What's wrong with you? I've been calling you for the last minute!" 

"Uh..." you clutched your head. You swore these things only happened in your dreams. Why is it here interrupting your work?

You looked down at the person in front of you, then at the glass filled with alcohol on the counter nearby. "Sorry, Diona. I somehow blanked out," you say, smiling apologetically. 

Her ears twitch as she narrows her eyes at you. "Blanked out? But you never do! What's happening to you?"

You shook your head. "I can tell you later. You want me to serve this drink, right?" You tilt your head towards the alcohol drink on the counter. 

Diona eyed the drink, before turning her nose up in disgust. "Hmph! The customer can go get their drink themselves! Now tell me~"

You sigh. Must be tough being Diona's customer. "It's... It's just that dream again, except It's not just a dream anymore."

"Oh, the... the golden bird? Why is that?" 

"I don't know." You furrow your brows. "I've been getting it a lot more lately, but I wasn't expecting it to interrupt work like this, and on my last day here, too! Sorry about that..." 

Diona opened her mouth to speak when a drunk man staggered towards the counter. "Hey! Can I have another one of that... uh, Diona's Special?"

She turned to him with widened eyes. "D– You... liked it?!"

The drunk man grinned. "Of course I did! It was the best thing I ever had."

A smile tugs at your lips. "You have work to do, Diona."

She groans in frustration at yet another 'failed' drink. "Ugh... fine! Let's talk later, (Y/N). I still need to destroy the wine industry!" 

_ _ _

"Stay safe, you two!" Margaret cupped a hand around her mouth. "And good luck on your new job in Liyue, (Y/N)!" 

"Thanks for everything!" you exclaim back, watching Margaret's figure grow smaller as you leave Mondstadt City gates. 

Beside you, Diona stays silent, lips pursed into a thin line.

You smile, resting a hand on her head. "C'mon, cheer up!" 

"What do you mean?! I'm fine! I'm totally not anxious about you leaving or anything!" She protests, even though you can see her tail sinking downwards.