[27] The Meaning of a Dream

For a while, Xiao had been coming home earlier, and he stopped pulling all-nighters out on the battlefield. Each time, he returned with little to no injuries, which put you at ease. It made you wonder if the demons in Liyue had finally started to calm down. 

"No. It's the opposite," Xiao would say as he wiped blood off his cheek. Blood that wasn't his. "I've just been able to rest and recover better." 

Your eyes widened in surprise. Even though Xiao was faring better now, you wondered why the situation only seemed to be getting worse. 

But every time you looked to him for answers, it seemed like he also didn't know. All he could do was continue to protect, and all you could do was ensure he didn't burn himself out in the process.

However, it seemed like even that wasn't enough. 

______________________

The next time Zhongli visited Xiao on the rooftop, he wore a more grim expression than usual. 

"Rex Lapis." Xiao immediately appeared in front of him. Head lowered and on one knee. 

"Xiao." Zhongli nodded in acknowledgment, the ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "You seem to be doing better these days," he said. "How are your pains?" 

The yaksha paused for a bit, raising his head. "I must admit, I've been feeling less of it lately," he says. "However–" 

"Yes, I know. I actually came to talk to you about that." Zhongli sighs, leisurely walking towards the railing with a hand to his chin in thought. "The demons in Liyue seem to be getting increasingly restless..." He narrows his eyes, spotting a broken Ruin Guard all the way across Dihua Marsh. Though it has long since been defeated, Karmic Debt was still leaking out of it.

Xiao nods, getting up on his feet but still maintaining a respectful distance behind his Archon. "It started as a small inconvenience in Guyun Stone Forest. I made sure to eradicate each one, but they only seemed to spread all over Liyue," he explained. "If I don't do something, then..." 

He pursed his lips, stopping himself from finishing that statement. 

Zhongli sighs. "I believe this is growing to be something greater than your power could handle, Xiao," he says, turning to the shorter Adeptus with a worried gaze. "For now, all you could do is fight them off."

Xiao closed his eyes. 'Even so, I'll continue to fight if it means protecting her smile. If it means I can continue to feel her warmth.' 

"In any case..." Zhongli turns back to the somewhat peaceful scenery ahead. "Do you have any ideas on what the cause of this might be?" 

Xiao furrowed his brows as he slowly opened his eyes. "This is only a guess, but–" he pauses, staring at the ground as the vivid image of a demon attacking you resurfaced in his mind. The pure hostility was something he couldn't explain to this day. "...I fear (Y/N) may be involved in this," he continues. 

"I have the same theory." Zhongli glances at Xiao from the corner of his eye. "Of course, it's impossible for a human to single-handedly cause a crisis this massive." 

The Adeptus nods. 

"But, if we talk about the possibility that her lost memories may have something to do with this..."

Xiao raised his head with widened eyes. "(Y/N) still remembers nothing." 

"I'm aware," Zhongli sighs. "Meeting a reincarnated human is already rare enough."

'But still, there's this feeling I can't seem to shake off.

_ _ _

Zhongli returned to Liyue Harbor, remaining in deep thought as he strolled through the bustling streets. His conversation with Xiao was still fresh in his mind.