twenty-one

⌜ chapter twenty-one ⌟

Mr. Matthews wasn't able to get their old pay back, so that means Letty's still having to work extra shifts at the Market Giant. She'd complain more if it didn't get her away from her dad for longer during the week. She's starting to think that she's going to have to get a second job, which she doesn't actually want to do. Juggling one job with school has been hard enough.

The brunette goes to school the next day, and Jason's helping her with her homework in the library because she keeps getting confused and falling behind. "It's not that hard. You just have to be smarter than your work." He tells her, looking from what he's typing to his best friend.

"Oh, well, that's nice." She nods. "Thank you...for constantly making me feel like an idiot."

"You got it, babe." He smirks, and she shakes her head. "So, what's with the worsening grades and the longer work hours?"

"Well, not all of us have a dad like yours." She mutters. "I swear, your dad is like a saint in an old trucker's cap. Mine, however, is...whatever the opposite is."

"A hell-spawn in a cowboy hat?"

"That's a disturbing image. Thank you, Jase." Letty shakes her head, and he starts laughing. "I think I'm gonna have to get another job." She tells him, and he looks back at her.

"Things are really that bad at home?" He asks, and her brown eyes meet his blue ones.

"Well, they're definitely not good." The brunette takes a deep breath. "His...extra-curricular activities don't make us much in the way of money, and even then — he doesn't have the skill or know-how of a Singer or a Winchester. But even Miller's struggling a bit lately."

"Are you working this weekend? You, me, and Miller can hit the next town over, see what we can scrounge up."

"Saturday — yes. Sunday — I was going to spend it job hunting."

"Job hunt on your next day off. This Sunday we're gonna see how many losers we can hustle." He tells her, and she smirks.

"Thanks, Jase." Letty says, and he nods.

At lunch later on, Harley Keiner walks over to Letty in the cafeteria and sits down next to her at her table. She looks across the tabletop at him and raises an eyebrow. "And what exactly do you want?" She questions, more confused than anything else.

"I heard you're​ looking for a job." The raven-haired teenager says.

"I told that to one person this morning. How the hell did you hear that?" She questions, dark eyes narrowed, and he shrugs.

"Word gets around."

"About trailer girl's​ job search?"

"A friend of mine knows of something, but he's afraid to talk to you." He tells her, and she nods.

"Okay, where's Joey?" The brunette asks, and he points in front of them. She looks over and sees him sitting at a table a few feet away. "Do I have to go over there or is he gonna work up the nerve to come and sit with us?" She asks Harley, and he thinks it over for a second.

"I don't know. It's hard to say."

"So what is this job that he knows about?"

"I believe it's at a poetry place." He tells her, and she looks back at him.

"And what would I be doing?"

"I don't know."

"Harley, go get Joey." She tells him, and he stands from his seat across from her.

"Okay." Harley then walks over to his timid, little friend before pulling him to where Letty's sitting. "Talk." He orders.

"There's this job at a poetry place I heard about. You'd be serving coffee to the peoples as they listened." Joey tells her.

"I have a shift today at the market that I work at after school. Can you take me to this poetry place after I get off work?" She asks him.

"Me? Uh... Nah. I-I couldn't do that." He says, shaking his head as he looks down at the floor.

"And why not?" She questions, eyebrows furrowed.

"Uh..."

Letty looks up at Harley, not understanding what's going on with his friend. "We'll sort this out, and meet you after your shift ends." He tells her, and she sighs as she nods. The brunette tells the two boys when to meet her at the market, and then they walk away from her.

Eric makes his way over to his best friend then, and she can see the confusion on his face when she looks up at him. "What were you talking to Harley Keiner about?"

"He was delivering a message for the oh-so-shy Joey." Letty tells him as he sits down next to her, his legs on either side of the bench so that he can face her.

"He's still afraid of you?" He laughs.

"I don't know what his problem is." She shakes her head. "So, onto more interesting topics — how was Cory's first date with Topanga?"

"Better than Shawn's second date with Hilary." He says, and she nods.

"I heard about that." The brunette nods. "I guess nothing's better than sneaking into a movie and throwing soggy Malt Balls at people." She half laughs.

"Hey, I wanted your opinion on something." He says, and she waits for him to continue. "What do you think I should give my mom for Mother's Day?"

Letty shrugs. "I don't know. I didn't even know that it was coming up."

"Yeah, it's on Sunday." He tells her. "You wanna come over and have dinner with us? My mom loves having you around the house."

"I would, but I have plans with Miller and Jason on Sunday." Letty says, and he nods.

"Anything fun?" He asks, and she shrugs.

"I guess we'll see. But as far as your mom's gift — she'll love whatever you give her as long as it's something you put some thought and effort into." She tells him. "And you're a good guy, I know you'll think of something." She adds, resting her hand on his.

Eric looks down at their hands before letting out a nervous chuckle. Her eyebrows furrow as she looks at their hands as well, then her gaze returns to his light brown eyes.

"Careful there, Eric, you're starting to sound like Shawn when he told me that Hilary asked him out." She teases her best friend, and he smirks.

The bell rings then, making her sigh as he lets out a groan. "More torture." Eric complains as they stand from the bench at their lunch table.

"Come on." The brunette grabs his hand again and pulls him in the direction of their next class.

"Hey, are you coming over today?" He asks as his fingers curl around her palm, wanting to hold her hand for as long as possible.

"Well, I've got nothing better to do until my shift at the market starts." She tells him, and he shakes his head.

"You're always so mean to me."

Letty chuckles. "Maybe it's how I show affection." She smirks as she looks over her shoulder at him. "You know you like it."

"I don't not like it." He agrees, making her laugh as they continue down the hallway. He loves hearing her laugh, he just wishes that she'd do it more often.