Chapter One

Aubri

"Professor, Professor, Professor, what name would you like to go by, Miss Dustan?" Kiran, my new boss, said she put back my resume.

She stared blankly at me, ignoring my resume. I had planned everything out, and even what color I would say if my boss asked me what it was. I would say yellow. I never had time to decide whether I would go by Miss, Ms, or professor.

I smiled up at her and said, "Professor Bri."

"Good choice, professor Bri; welcome on board the team. Your first class will start tomorrow."

I nodded and took this as an excellent chance to leave. I had gotten in my run-down Toyota and drove to my apartment.

I never really understood why people would be willing to teach. Of course, we need teachers, but who would willingly do that? Well turns out a lot of people would, including me. I don't like interacting with kids, especially if they are younger. That is why I thought it would be a good idea to apply for a job as a college professor, an AP Calculus college professor. To clarify, I majored in fine arts. But I guess this was my life now. I am only teaching two groups of students tomorrow, which takes a load of my shoulders since I thought I would be training every day for the next two weeks.

I got back to my apartment at the edge of town and decided to wear it. When I first applied for this job, I heard a strict dress code, which I was okay with. But my new boss told me recently they had lifted the dress code; I don't know why she decided to hold out on that detail. I picked three outfits out of my closet.

Outfit one is a pair of slim-fitting flared jeans that I had recently gotten from Urban Outfitters that I love with all my heart. And to top it off, I usually would generally wear a green or orange flowy top to make a statement. But since it was my first day at a new job and it wasn't a high school musical, I decided that I would tone this outfit down, and if I were to wear it, I would only wear it with a white flowy top. I decided to add some custom high-top platform converse to finalize outfit one. They have mushrooms and tiny fairy houses all over them to recreate a magical vibe.

Outfit two is a basic mom dress that I had gotten from Walmart a few years back with my ex-boyfriend. I don't like it because it reminds me of him and makes me look more seductive than I am used to. So while I still consider this an option, I don't know how comfortable I am with wearing it, especially in front of many guys and gals in their early twenties. I then decided that to finalize this outfit, I would wear some pink flat tennis shoes since the dress was a combination of pink, tan, and white.

Finally, outfit three is a pair of slim-fitting flared jeans, except this pair had different patches with different patterns all over them. I had recently gone roller skating by myself, and I had worn them. For the top, I decided that a cropped top with a cropped sweater would look cute since tomorrow would be a little cold at the beginning of the day. To once again finalize this outfit, I decided, to spice things up, that I was going to wear my three-inch pink high heels. I know it seems crazy and out there, but I think this would make an excellent first impression on my students.

~

I opened my laptop and set up my new email to start working at the school. From what I heard, they should be giving us our laptops. But again, I am not expecting much of anything from this school except a check.

Mrs. Kiran had sent me an email about fifteen minutes ago regarding everything she hadn't mentioned to me in the interview we had early today.

Dear Professor Bri,

Thank you for coming in today; I appreciate it. I am sending this email regarding tomorrow. As I mentioned, tomorrow you will only have to teach two classes. Your first class will be the first period at 9:55 am. Your next teaching period will be the last period at 2:15 pm. Like what you signed up for when applying to this job, you will also be tutoring the first years in pre-calculus after school. Sorry for the short notice, but our first-year pre-calculus teacher just caught the flu and couldn't come to school. But promising news is that it will only take up about 15 minutes of your time since there aren't too many first years taking pre-calculus this year. I hope you understand.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact my email or cellphone number.

Sincerely,

Principal Kiran

Head of School | Dean of Students | AP Physics Teacher

X-xxx-xxx-xxx

KiranBechanXMaescrytir.xxx

That was not an email I wanted to see, but hey, what can I say? It is a new job; I have to show flexibility. I didn't want to respond, but I knew I had to.

Dear Principal Kiran,

I will be happy to work with the students. Do you have my schedule for the next few weeks? I would want to take the day off. Thank you for everything!

Sincerely,
Professor Bri

AP Calculus Teacher

X-xxx-xxx-xxx

AubriDustanXMaescrytir.xxx

It is a little odd how it automatically generates your email and phone number whenever an email is sent, but whatever. I decided that the best idea was to go to the school's website and look for the plans myself since I don't know how fast Mrs. Kiran knows how to respond to her emails. She seems a little off her rockers, like all the time, but who am I to judge.

The one problem with looking for the plans on the school's website is that I had to make an account first, which I didn't know how to do. This whole school seems very behind the times, like why can't they give us a strict guide on what we are supposed to do when we are a new teacher? Again, I should be judging their teaching methods when I technically haven't even worked there a day in my life.

I am on the school's website, and at the top right corner, it has a sign-up and logic button, which makes my job ten times easier. I create an account using my new email and time in my teacher id and what classes I will teach the quarter. I go to a tab that says, "For our new teachers." The first thing I saw was a very long message going n way too much detail on how grateful they were to have me a part of the team. Except it was computer-generated, meaning every new teacher would get this "sweet" message. At the bottom of the page, I had finally found a link to a document that reads "teacher plans." I click on it immediately, and it takes me to all the teachers and all the classes they have ever had at the school; ALL OF THEM.

I felt like I was scrolling for hours when I had finally come across my class: "Professor Bri - AP Calculus." I sighed in relief when I opened it and saw that all the things I had to teach were laid out for me, word by word, page by page. I read all of it.

I had found out was that my room was located across the way from a world history class. Who taught the course? It didn't say. That's weird, but it is the least of the problems I have encountered today. I also noticed that they put a world history room in a math building, but once again, from not even teaching at this school for a day, I have learned not to question anything, no matter how suspicious it may seem.

I knew it would be hard to find my room since I was given a map. The map tells me where it is and its general location, which is the most helpful thing the school has given me since I started to work for them. My class was in the tallest building located east of the principles office, which was my landmark for now. My class was at the seven-story high building.