Three - Walk the Trimar pass

The sun now stood high in the sky, a sign that it was time for me to leave and take to the road

The sun now stood high in the sky, a sign that it was time for me to leave and take to the road. My feet already felt strangely sore this morning, as though they instinctively knew what was to come in the form of that arduous journey. But my mind was quite set on getting there.

Carrying a fat shoulder bag stuffed with all the items Mom had ordered me to take along, I was ready to start my journey toward those mysterious mountains.

"Be careful, child," Mom said, giving me a big hug. "And remember what I told you."

"I will," I answered, holding my mother tightly. It felt odd that she hugged me so. I was used to her harsh words and huge expectations, and less accustomed to physical affection.

"Good girl." She patted my back.

My mother released me so I could say goodbye to my sisters and nieces.

After the rather emotional and unusual farewell, I took off. Now, I was headed to Isolde and Olivia's house first, on the way to Asclan Peaks.

"Gyda! Wait!"

A voice came from behind me when I was five minutes away from our home.

I turned around. Fiona came barreling toward me, out of breath and clutching wildly at my arm when she caught up. She puffed and panted, trying to get enough oxygen to speak.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Mom is b-busy, so she didn't see me leave. I know you're worried, and I know that..." She took a big breath before proceeding. "Look, what I mean is I know you're a curious person. Not knowing is worse for you than knowing the truth, even if it is a scary truth. So, I came here because I want to tell you something."

"You will? Oh, thank you!" I answered, taking Fiona's hand and squeezing it. She'd always been the kindest one and the sweet one, the sister I could turn to for most things.

"Like I was saying before our mother rudely interrupted me, it's the place from where you bleed."

"Yes." I nodded, wide-eyed.

"When you lie with the orc, he will...enter that p-place with his...uh, umm, manhood."

"His what? Manhood? What's one of those?"

"It's... Well, something only men have." She held her hands up and took one of her rings off. "If this is the place a woman bleeds from," she said, circling the round golden ring with one of her fingertips. "Then, he will...enter, like that." She pushed her finger through the ring, pulled it back, then popped it in again.

Now, she looked at me, even bigger-eyed than I was.

Was I supposed to understand this? What she was telling me was more like a sewing demonstration. In, out, in, out...

I grimaced. From that, she knew I was still clueless and confused.

"Like this," she said and demonstrated again. "Watch carefully."