2

I was with Velma and Grazie, my two best friends since we were ten ten before I went to England, we were talking about our love life.

Velma is dating Ice and Grazie is still looking for love, Tony didn't work out, Riff didn't either so she didn't care that Riff and I were going to the dance together.

I have not had any boyfriend, I have not felt that way with anyone.

We were getting ready for the party, Grazie put on a light blue dress that suited her quite well, her golden curls arranged in a cute bun and red lipstick, Velma also opted for a blue dress with a pattern, her hair tied up in a ponytail and a not too strong lipstick color and I wore a dark blue dress with silver glitter and a silver belt too, a black bow in my loose brown hair, with black eyeliner, and red lips.

We left Velma's house, where I will be staying since Tony lives in a drugstore and it would be too much to ask his boss to allow me to stay with him.

When we arrived, Ice, some guy I don't know and Riff were waiting for us at the door, Velma ran into her boyfriend's arms and Grazie greeted her date politely.

Riff on the other hand stared at me for a few minutes and I looked at him, he had combed his hair for the first time since I've known him, he had also dressed in different clothes, he looked good.

-Hello beautiful lady, he took my hand and kissed it.

-Well hello gentleman, I replied smiling

Grazie and Velma smiled excitedly for me and we walked into the gym .

There were couples dancing, the Puerto Ricans hadn't arrived so we decided to dance and enjoy what little peace there would be in the party before the gangs started fighting.

Riff and I looked like one while we danced, he spun me around and carried me, his grip on my waist was strong but not enough to hurt me, we didn't speak we just looked into each other's eyes and it was as if we could read each other's thoughts.

-You are a good dancer little one, he said

-You're not bad either, I thought you'd be terrible, I said and he turned me around making my back hit his chest.

-Is that a challenge doll? , he looked me in the eye

-Maybe, I replied and he picked me up and gave me a spin

-I can win that challenge little one, he told me

We danced with more intensity without taking our eyes off each other for a second, until the Puerto Ricans appeared.

This Bernardo and his girlfriend began to dance in the middle of the gym and we looked at them for a few seconds until everyone continued dancing.

Little fights broke out all over the gym and the cops were trying to stop them.

The chemistry between Riff and I became stronger and our faces began to get closer, our noses were pink and just when our lips were about to touch we collided with Bernardo and his girlfriend.

Bernardo turned angrily.

-You want to dance, buddy?, Riff asked him it was clear that he was trying to provoke him.

The Americans and Puerto Ricans began to push each other as the girls tried to stop them.

The police broke up the fight and finally a funny-looking man with circular glasses and a shrill voice stood in the middle of the two groups.

-Tonight is a social experiment boys and girls brotherhood and all that, and your the guinea pigs.

We started making pig noises earning a look of annoyance from the man.

-Thank you, right on cue, Be nice to each other! Give us some hope!, just for a little bit then you can revert back to your true real selves.

Everything seemed calm and the man continued.

-Now, boys, get in to a big circle facing in and girls make a small circle on the incidence, facing out.

Someone said something in Spanish and the man got quite upset.

-Speak English, in school-ponsored functions!, he said, now everyone, please!

The two groups began to complain and fight until Bernardo and his girlfriend came out to the circle receiving applause.

-Let's go little one, Riff told me and went out to the circle extending his hand to me.

I took it and we walked into the circle together as the Jets started clapping and yelling.

Everyone started to join in doing what the funny man said.

-Boys step it right, Girls left, the man ordered us, and when the music stops ya dance whoever is in front of ya.

We followed the orders that the man gave us, Riff looked me in the eyes as if asking me not to leave and I just smiled at him.

When the music stopped I had to dance with one of the sharks, his gaze made me quite uncomfortable, he examined me with his eyes and I felt disgusted when I realized what he was thinking, Riff had also noticed the way he was looking and he looked furious.

In the end everyone came back with his date but that man grabbed my hand and tried to pull me away from the big crowd.

Riff ran towards me noticing the man's intentions and pushed him away, the man left to avoid problems and Riff and I stayed.

-Thanks, I gave him a big hug which he received happily.

-I'll have to talk to Bernardo about that idiot, he hurt Baby John this morning, and no one messes with you or my boys.

-Shall we dance my hero?, I asked

-Of course my princess, he replied

We started dancing again, the chemistry was still there and it kept getting stronger.

-Tony, Riff yelled when my brother came in

Riff greeted him with enthusiasm and hugs, I ran to hug him too.

-You look beautiful Marie, he told me as he separated from the hug

-You don't look bad, I replied

-Let's dance!, Riff said as he was noticeably excited that Tony had returned.

In the middle of the dance Riff tried to approach Bernardo being stopped by two Sharks.

Just when they were going to hit Riff I arrived and kicked them, I could have killed them but unfortunately they dodged the heel.

Riff laughed and we began to dance in the middle of a circle made up of all the Americans, everyone clapping and cheering.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Tony looking at us with an arched eyebrow and an annoyed face.

Damn jealous brother, I'll talk to him later.

The groups merged again and we kept dancing, Riff and I seemed like one, it was as if we could predict what the other would do.

A slow song started playing and Riff and I started to slow dance, our noses brushed for the second time that night but Bernardo yelling at my brother and pushing him interrupted us.
It was the sign that the fun would start.

Riff and I came to the defense of Tony who seemed to be mesmerized by the girl named Maria.

The Jets and the Sharks left the gym, me holding hands with Riff, Tony ran out of the gym, he abandoned us and that was painful.

We fixed the rumble for tomorrow at midnight and went out, while I was on my way to Velma's house, Riff stopped me.

-Nobody is  going to interrupt us now little one, and he kissed me on the lips, the kiss had feeling, it was wild.

That night I was his and he was mine

My boy