Bring Out Your Dead

When Emery approached Tess's car, she was startled to find Charlie in the driver's seat. The two of them got out the moment they saw her, Tess to run to Emery and give her a hug, and Charlie to just stand near his door and look uncomfortable.

"I've been so worried about you!" Even in her dark clothing, Tess was her usual sparkling self, hair held back with barrettes and little rainbows hanging from her ears. She added in a whisper, "Don't be mad. Charlie knew I was coming to see you and insisted. He cares about you."

Emery knew there was no point in complaining, even though she wished Charlie hadn't come. He'd just add a wrinkle to her already rumpled plan. "Tess, this involves everything that's been going on. Will he be able to handle it?"

Tess shrugged. "We'll find out. I told him weird stuff might happen, but that's all."

"Who the hell is that?"

The girls looked to Charlie, whose gaze went past them, and Emery knew without turning that he'd spotted Cearnach creeping out from behind some trees. Rather than answer Charlie's question, she said, "Pop your trunk."

Not entirely willing, Charlie listened anyway and reached into the car to do as she'd asked. Emery then ordered Cearnach to place the several gardening tools he was carrying inside.

"Can he fit in the back of your car?" Emery asked, slamming the trunk.

The answer was yes, though not comfortably. She knew it without needing to hear it. Emery opened a back door of the sedan and with a wafture of her hand, told the oafish warrior to get in. With all his fear and his giant stature, Cearnach had to practically fold himself in half to fit. Emery could barely close the door, but she managed. Then she walked to Tess, put a hand on her shoulder, and smiled at her, telling her to keep shotgun.

Rounding the front of the car, Emery approached Charlie, unable to quell the nerves she felt drawing near him. He stood there in his dark jeans and tee, curly golden hair, perfectly shaped face with uncertainty in its deep blue eyes. She couldn't help thinking of the last time she'd been with him and felt far more uneasy than she wanted to. She found herself wishing Tess had never told her how Charlie felt about her in the first place; hadn't it been easier when she'd believed nothing could or would ever be possible with him? "I didn't mean to get you involved in this."

Charlie stared at her without revealing his thoughts. Was he angry that she hadn't responded to any of his messages? Was he insulted that she hadn't wanted him to come, tonight? Was he losing any feelings he'd had for her? Was he worried or concerned? Because the one thing Emery definitely didn't want was any more worry or concern. "I think I can handle it," was what he finally said, and Emery's hopes deflated somewhat. She didn't know exactly what she'd been hoping for, but Charlie's response felt distant, maybe sarcastic even. How could she expect more from him, though? She hadn't been particularly communicative, and he'd made himself pretty vulnerable in several of his texts.

Her lips flattening into a fake smile, Emery stepped around him and got into the back of the car, next to Cearnach. It was a good thing she was thin enough--the man took up three quarters of the seat.

"Where to?" Tess chirped, either unaware of or ignoring the coolness between her brother and friend.

"Eden Cemetery."

"What?" Tess spun about. "Are you joking? At night?"

"I'll explain everything along the way. Please, just head over there."

The twins shared a look, and for the first time ever, Emery found herself wondering if they had that capacity that some twins shared, the ESP sort of thing, where they could read one another's thoughts. But Charlie pulled away from the curb and set off, and she did her best to keep it simple as she explained what she and Cearnach had discussed.