Hypothermia

You opened your eyes, yet your mind was still embedded deep within a sleep. You blanched with how much darkness you find yourself in-just like you were in your dream.

The War of The Ring ended almost 20 years ago, yet your war from your dark past still rages, especially when your husband Legolas was not around. You didn't know how, but every time Legolas was around, you were always safe from yourself. Unfortunately he wasn't here now, so you had to do everything you can to keep your sanity about you.

As terror filled you, you thought that you were still within the captivity of the enemies that had been long gone for decades now. Suffocating, you struggled to differentiate which was real life and which was the dream, until you managed to open the door to the balcony and took in the healing, wintry air of Rivendell.

You found yourself hunching by the foot of the railings of your balcony, holding for dear life as you catch your breath, trembling with terror all the while convincing yourself that the beautiful snow that fell outside and its cold was reality; not that deep, dark hole in your haunted dreams in which they shackled and torture you every single day for information which you held back from Sauron.

Bleary-eyed, yet now with better clarity in your mind, you managed to sober up and broke free from your night terror. You wished Legolas was here; if he was, you knew your gentle elf husband would chase away all your fear away just in time. But at the same time, you were glad he wasn't. If he knew how bad the night terrors get when he's not around, he would never want to leave your side, ever, and making your husband a crutch was the last thing you want for him.

Uncomfortable cold covered your human skin, penetrating your filmsy sleeping gown. You didn't like the cold, but this time you welcomed and reveled in it. The cold made you feel alive, unconstricted, convincing you that no one was going to come and put you in shackles in a deep dark hole and inflicted various torment just to get you to rat out your friends who were betting their lives to save the world.

Hating your room and how dark and how enclosed it was, you braved yourself to get in just to get the outer of your silk sleeping robe, put it on and went outside to the gardens.

As you looked up to the open night sky, watching flurries of snow falling beautifully, you let out a shaky breath of relief, feeling safe at last despite the cold that still seeped into your bones.

Snowy garden of Rivendell at night was truly an enchanting sight. For a while, you revel in that fact, willing the beauty around you to chase away your past memories and the lingering fear that came with it. You sat on a stone bench in the garden, feeling the frozen surface on your bottom, but you ignored it. You looked up to the sky, relishing the icy feeling of snow on your skin.

You began to shiver with cold. Unwilling to get back to your room, trapped inside the walls, you were willing to embrace the cold outside. Exhausted from the lack of sleep, you decided that closing your eyes for a bit won't hurt. You lifted your feet from the ground and pulled your legs to your chest, resting your weight on the cold bench beneath you.

You dreamed of your beautiful husband, under the moonlight on bright a snowy night. For a moment you thought it was a snowy Christmas night. Legolas was radiant in those silver tunic, but his brilliant blue eyes were heavy with much distress and fear. He shouted something, but oh he sounded like he was underwater, you could not understand him. You wanted to comfort him, asked him what was wrong, yet you were mute and so very sleepy, and soon you were drowned in a blackness that felt ancient.

It was so easy to give in to nothingness. There was a sense of peace that came with the perfect darkness, and you expected to never woke from that deep slumber.

***

You knew those arms clinging around your body protectively. You knew the warmth of his shapely bare chest that pressed so intimately against yours cheek. You recognized his faint scent of leather and forest that you love on his skin. His hand brushed the length of your back under the blanket where your naked bodies tangled with each other. Laying like that with your husband felt right and natural, except the urgency in the way he stroke your back with his hands.