My Lover in the Window

“Thank you.” Barbara blushed.

“And my what a lovely room you have here, fit for a princess such as yourself!” Fischl saw all the notes on her desk.

“New songs already, dear you must rest!”

“Shouldn’t you rest too.”

“I do not rest, for justice never sleeps!”

“Barbara, what are you doing up there?” Jean shouted.

“Nothing!” Barbara shouted as she pushed Fishcl under the covers and covered her with pillows, hoping to hide her.

Jean knocked on the door before coming in, “Sorry, just wanted to check in on you.” She left, and Fischl kicked the pillows off of her.

“Sorry.” Barbara apologized.

“It’s fine, Lady Barabara, now I was here to visit you and stuck you in, for I have a story.”

“It’s fine Fish-”

Fishcl guided Barbara into bed and stucked her in, finally she felt at peace.

Fishcl cleared her throat, “Once upon a time, there was a little girl who lived on the streets and sold matches for a living-”

“Is this the little match girl?”

“Yes it is, now shh.”

Once upon a time there was a little girl, sk1nny to the bone Her parents would send her out everyday to sell matches. 

This fateful night, she stayed out rather late, and nobody was buying any and she was too scared to go home to her h0rrible parents. So she stayed in the snow and began to light her matches, one by one. She saw a vision of a warm stove, then a roasted goose, and she even saw a Christmas tree inside of her light. 

She continued to light more and more. The next match she sees her kind and caring grandmother, so she lights them all. However, the air grows chilly and she runs out of lights. She notices a shooting star in the sky and remembers what her grandmother told her it meant, “Someone is on their way to heaven.” 

That night the little girl froze to death, and the next day, her body was found smiling in the snow, for the last thing she saw before she died was her grandmother taking her up to heaven.

When Fishcl ended her story, Barbara had a bit of tears in her eyes, sad, yet happy for the little girl. However her eyes began to droop and Fischl gave her a kiss on the forehead and closed the window behind her.

Barbara’s sleeping body was as red as a tomato, the same as Fischl’s face.