𝟸𝟻. 𝚞𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜

SPARKS

25. unforgiving waters

 unforgiving waters

April 15th, 1912

·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚

  DARKNESS STAINED HER VISION as Josephine tried to continue swimming. She could not see much around her, considering that just as Jack had predicted, the force of the ship had sucked them down to an unknown depth in the ocean.

  Her hand was still tightly holding onto his as her legs tried to push her to the surface. The sting in her eyes from the saltwater was nothing compared to the sting in her lungs - which were running out of air by the second.

  Josephine turned her head to see that Jack was also struggling, his legs moving around in hopes of pulling them up to the surface. It was getting harder to keep moving, as the cold water seemed to have hit her all over her body, constricting her muscles and making it nearly impossible for her to use them.

  She noticed it before Jack did - the fact that there was no way they would make it up to the surface if they kept their hands together. And Josephine knew that she had promised him that she would not let go of his hand, but when thinking of saving his life, she knew what she had to do.

  The girl pulled on his arm, forcing him closer to her, and before he could object, she broke free of his firm grip. Her hands then made their way to his shirt, and with all the strength she could muster, Josephine lifted his body so he was closer to the surface before letting him go.

  His body disappeared upwards, despite his many attempts to make his way back to her. And then she was alone. The lack of air was burning her lungs, and after all those panic attacks in which she felt like she was drowning, she could now confirm that the actual experience was a thousand times worse.

  For a moment, Josephine considered staying there - allowing the water to engulf all of her senses and finally rid her of the pain she felt all over her body. After all, her parents were gone, Samantha was most likely dead, and there was no way she could ever look for Rose again.

  But Jack - god she wanted to experience life with him. And more than anything, she wanted to make sure that he was safe. She wasn't the strongest of people; having spent the majority of her life attending galas and polo matches - but when it came to Jack, she knew that she would fight till the very end to ensure that he who loved life and had taught her so much of her own life, got to live his own.

  So she kept kicking, her arms swinging around her and trying to fight off the urge to close her eyes and give in. She could almost see it - the small light that was coming from the surface, and Josephine would be dammed if she died before she could see it.

  Her head broke free from the water, and her lungs immediately made way for fresh air. The cold air stung her face slightly, and all over her body, the only thing she could feel was cold - an undeniable cold that left no room for anything else.