Chapter 69: Stoking The Fire

Ridley

The fire crackled as we sat here in the dark of the night. It's been quiet for the past few hours. We haven't really talked about much since our little meeting earlier.

Christian has been scouting the area to make sure we are safe. He has been on edge since the sun went down. He's worried there will be rouges hiding and waiting to attack us when we least expect it.

I sighed as I thought about Christian, my Alpha. I never dreamed I'd get to meet my mate. I also never dreamed I'd have to tell a respected Luna that the Alpha who has been eyeing her for years is now mated to me. I know she wouldn't care because she doesn't want him.

Lana has never been interested in Christian. I am sure she'll be glad he found his mate, but I don't know if she'd be okay with him being my mate.

I rubbed my face and sighed again as reality just hit. Why is life so difficult.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped. I was about to get up when I heard his voice.

"Whoa there, my little Luna! It's just me. I called your name, but you didn't answer." He settled onto the ground next to me and smiled. "What's going through your mind?"

I stole a quick glance and watched as he stoked the fire. He has been trying to keep the fire from growing to strong. He didn't want to capture the attention of others. He only created the fire to keep us a little warm and have enough light for the evening.

I couldn't help my eyes from slowly trailing up his arm watching as he flexed with each stroke. I could see how defined his body was of muscle. The fire was bringing out features that I didn't see earlier.

He was sexy and...

The fire suddenly popped causing me to jump. I shook my head and tried to clear my thoughts.

I realized that I had been staring at him as if he was the most delicious candy in the world.

Swallowing down the embarrassment, I glanced over to see if he caught me.

I am not ashamed that he's my mate, but I am on a mission. Things are pretty fucked up right now. I can't get distracted too much.

I wasn't disappointed when I saw he hadn't noticed my creepy stare.

I sighed and closed my eyes. Where do I begin to even explain this situation to Christian?

"Ridley?" My eyes glow open at his voice. Butterflies went through me when I heard him say my name.

I turned my head towards him and saw him staring at me. He looked confused. Wait! No. He looked concerned?

"Are you okay?"

I nodded and gave the best smile I can right now. I'm exhausted and my nerves have been shot from the adrenaline today.

I am happy that I met my mate. I'm genuinely glad it is someone who isn't apart of this war shit. However, I am just exhausted.

I noticed he had scooted closer to me. I don't know when he had, but I am glad he did.

The warmth he gave off made my heart clench.

"You look tired." His eyes held so much love, and it made me wish I could bathe in them.

I watched as his hand slowly rose up to my face. His fingers gently caressed my check as he leaned forward and kissed my temple. On their own accord, my eyes fluttered close upon the tingles I felt where he touched.

I sighed and leaned into him more. It's time we talk about the shit storm.

"Christian, we need to talk." I felt his hand suddenly freeze on my cheek. His chest vibrated with a growl before he pulled back.