Chapter 8: Arthur's Journel

Something was different about Arthur, Hosea thought.

As a gang member, Arthur was the one they relied on the most. No one worked nearly as hard, brought nearly as much money, and supported Dutch as much as Arthur had.

But lately? Arthur was standing up for himself, going against Dutch's word. And didn't that drive Dutch insane. Hosea could tell, his friend seemed to send more glares Arthur's way. The entire camp could feel the tension, especially Molly, who had to deal with Dutch's frustration the most. At night, Hosea could pick up on the angry whispers as they tried, in vain, to keep their fighting away from the rest of the camp.

"Dutch, we need to talk," he finally said, when Arthur was out of the camp.

"What is it, Hosea?" Dutch sounded tired.

"You need to talk to Arthur."

"No, Arthur needs to apologize!"

"Dutch-"

"Hosea, he refused to help Micah. He didn't want to do the train job. He keeps doubting me!"

Hosea sighed. Sometimes, Dutch was difficult to get through to, and he had to be careful. "Dutch, do you even listen to what Arthur says when he disagrees with you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Arthur was right, up in the mountains. That train job was a risk we didn't need. We haven't even sold those bonds yet, and we've been fine these last few weeks."

"But we will-"

"And Micah?" Hosea continued. "He is hotheaded, and I can understand why Arthur doesn't trust him."

Dutch opened his mouth to say more, probably to shout at Hosea about doubting as well, but a different shout from the trees interrupted him.

"Mr. Van der Linde! Mr. Matthews!" It was Tilly, leading a large gray horse, Jack clutching the saddle horn. There was blood on his jacket.

"Jack!" They heard Abigail yelling, running over to help her son off Arthur's horse as Dutch and Hosea raced over from the tents. John also made his way over, fear written across his face.

"Jack, are you hurt?" Abigail asked. Jack's eyes were red and his cheeks stained with tears, but he shook his head no.

"Jack, its alright, tell us what happened," Hosea said.

"Uncle Arthur… he said… he said I had to go get you and Pa," the boy sniffled.

"You did good, Jack, real good. Do you know where Arthur is?"

"He said… down the hill… to the right."

"I'll find him, Hosea," John said. "Me too," Dutch said, the two of them heading off Arthur. Hosea was left behind to wait for news.

Arthur couldn't be hurt that bad, could he? He had gotten Jack to ride back, but the blood? Hosea was terrified.

"There were two men, they hurt Uncle Arthur," Jack continued to cry. Abigail hugged her son.

Minutes passed, with Hosea, Miss Grimshaw, and Reverend Swanson waiting anxiously for Dutch to return. Then, the sound of horses, The Count and Old Boy burst through the trees, Dutch was yelling for them, and Arthur…

Arthur's right shoulder was drenched in blood, his face pale and sweaty. Even as Charles and John pulled him off the back of Dutch's horse, he barely made a sound. His eyes were half open, glassy and drifting.

"In here, quickly," Hosea guided them into Arthur's tent. They set him down, and Hosea was there, providing pressure to Arthur's injury. He noticed a second patch of blood on his left side, but it wasn't nearly as large. Arthur whimpered, trying to move away.