Chapter 12: Peacemakers

I've started having dreams about the last time we were in the South. I see Sean, Kieran, Hosea, and Lenny.

We need to go back north, and soon. But Dutch is determined to play these families. I'm wondering if I should just grab John, his family, Hosea, and everyone else who wants to go, and run.

--------------------------

"Hey Arthur, want to go hunting?"

They'd been at Clemens Point for a few weeks now, and Arthur was frustrated. But Hosea had started the habit of inviting Arthur for fishing or hunting. The result was a more relaxed Arthur, time for planning, and a very happy Mr. Pearson.

"Yeah, we could take a few days, go up north. Want to try your hand at a bear again, old man?" Arthur teased.

"You two leaving again?" Dutch asked. "But Arthur, we are waiting on the Gray's-"

"Oh, I'm sure Marston can handle it when they call. Plus, I probably shouldn't be seen at the Gray's place so soon," said Arthur.

Even without their scheme of returning the liquor, Dutch had found a way onto the Braithwaite plantation, and the matriarch had wasted no time in using the gang for her dirty work. Last night, Arthur burned tobacco fields with Sean, a job he cursed the entire time. It might take a few days, but Sheriff Gray would ask Dutch to swing by Calliga Hall for revenge. If he didn't find a way to stop this now, it would all end with another bullet in Sean's, if not someone else's, head.

He had tried to keep Sean away from the feud between the families, but of course, the eager kid volunteered to help. That didn't mean Arthur gave up. He took Sean robbing stagecoaches, and Sadie and Lenny as well. The four of them were bringing in good money for the camp. At least he warned Sean not go on jobs with Micah. He also went fishing a lot with Kieran, trying to help the prior O'Driscoll feel included in the gang. Plus, he now knew of a store to buy special lake lures, and they managed to bring in the giant Bluegill. Kieran earned a little respect, and they all ate well that night.

Still, Arthur had done his best to stay away from the mess that was playing both families. He hadn't been seen on the Braithwaite property at all, having been relayed orders by Dutch and Bill. Naturally, the Gray's would want revenge, prompting the order to steal the five thousand dollar horses.

Thus, a hunting trip was in order.

"Didn't know you was a coward now, Morgan!"

Micah was another reason for Arthur to be out of camp so much, though that in itself was a double edged sword. All Dutch could think about was this Confederate gold, and Micah always whispered about the riches in his ear.

"I'm being practical, Micah. If someone finds out we are playing both sides, this could end real bad."

"Let's go, Arthur," said Hosea, leading Silver Dollar and Dakota over. "We'll be back in a few days, no trouble now."

They rode out of camp and took the road north, Arthur in the lead. Hosea always let Arthur decide where they went. Normally, Arthur led them to a location where he met an interesting person. They helped Albert Mason again, this time keeping him from being eaten by a crocodile. Arthur chased down a wagon for a traveling doctor. He helped strangers who were lost get home.

Hosea could see what Arthur had meant, that he was happiest while helping people. Most people were grateful, handing Arthur the few dollars they had saved up as thanks. And every time, Arthur looked a little guilty taking it, but usually accepted. In one of their planning trips, they had talked about how much money they would need to buy land out west.