6. His Speech

"I welcome everyone to this grand party. Hope you all have been enjoying yourselves. We organize this event each year to help our new interns familiarise themselves with the hospital's surroundings and enjoy after their first look into the life of a doctor." He paused which I guess was to see the anticipation.

He continued to 'motivate' us for around five minutes which honestly felt like five hours to me. I looked around to see whether Dr. Ethan was here but he was nowhere to be found.

"Who are you searching for?" Alex chimed in

"No one in particular, just observing" I lied

"Did I mention you look beautiful today?" He said with a charming smile but for some reason, I felt that there was something more to his smile.

"I think you were so blinded by my beauty that you forgot" I smiled back

I mentally cringed for smiling back and started thinking of all the different ways I could have replied to his compliment. Before I could dwell much more about this Alex started talking again.

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"Uh no?" I seriously need to get my act together. "Well I promised my roommates that we will have lunch together in the cafeteria"

"Then can I join?" He asked with hopeful eyes. I nodded and replied "Of course"

Before we could continue this conversation, the Director called his wife, daughter, and Ethan on stage. Wait, Ethan?!? Was he there with them all this while?

"I have a few announcements to make so please pay attention. My lovely wife Britney will be the head of the neurosurgery department this year and will be assisted by Dr. Ethan Miller. Another announcement is that Dr. Ethan will be marrying my eldest daughter Lilith."

Believe me, when I say, this was not what I expected when I walked through that door about an hour ago. Judging by the number of gasps and murmurs that I am hearing right now, this was not pre-planned. I turned to ask Alex if he knew anything about this but after seeing his shocked state, I decided to keep my mouth shut.

I decided to check others' reactions but failed to find any variety. Everyone wore the same reaction as Alex's except for Dr. Daisy. She looked hurt and betrayed and I honestly felt really bad for her.

All of them started exiting the stage and were surrounded by guests congratulating them.

Midst of this chaos, Alex suddenly grabbed my hand and led me towards the balcony.

"What do you think you are doing?" I whisper yelled and gestured towards our interlocked hands. He realized that he still was holding my hand and let go. It was just both of us.

"I was feeling overwhelmed so I wanted to get some fresh air"

"Okay, and you dragged me along for?" I was starting to get a little annoyed now. I have had enough social interactions for the day.

"I want to ask you something" He turned to look me dead in the eye. The moon was lighting up his face. He looked like an angel sent to save me from this shitty world. Someone cleared their throat and I adverted my eyes from Alex's face to the source.

Ethan?

"What are you guys doing here all alone? Having a secret meeting?" He asked.

"Ethan are you serious? You are marrying her, you did not mention this when we were talking this morning. Did Britney threaten you? Say the word and I will have a talk with her" I was fully aware by now of how much Alex cares about Ethan.

Ethan looked at me for 7 whole seconds and asked Alex to leave us for a moment. Alex looked at me puzzled.

"Don't look at me like that. I also don't know what's going on" I was curious, to say the least. They weren't dating before but now they are getting married?

Ethan looked at Alex "I will answer all of your questions later but first I need to talk to Brooklyn."

Alex nodded and shot me a supportive smile before leaving.

"So what do you want to talk about?"

* Author's note:- Heyy, hope you all are doing well. Don't forget to vote if you feel like it. Feedbacks are always welcomed.*