9. Let's make it a regular thing

I woke up with a sense of anticipation that tingled in my bones. Today is the lunch date with Alex, and I couldn't wait. As I got ready, my friends Kit, Aubrey, and Maddie were equally excited, buzzing around me like a swarm of bees.

"Ooh, look at you, Miss Fancy Pants, going on a date with Dr. Dreamy!" Maddie teased, holding up a dress for me to inspect.

I rolled my eyes, but nevertheless, I laughed. "Oh please, Dr. Dreamy? More like Dr. Doofus."

Kit chimed in, holding up a pair of shoes. "Well, Dr. Doofus must have good taste if he asked you out," she said with a smirk.

Aubrey nodded in agreement. "Yeah, and look at you, all dolled up. You're going to knock him off his feet."

I chuckled as I slipped into the dress Maddie had picked out. It was a simple yet elegant choice, and I felt satisfied as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"Alright, ladies, let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's just lunch," I said, trying to play it cool.

But my friends were having none of it, fussing over my hair and makeup until I felt like I was ready for the red carpet.

Finally, they pronounced me "date-ready," and I made my way to the hospital for my shift, my heart fluttering with excitement.

As I went about my duties, the normal hustle and bustle of the hospital helped to calm my nerves. I greeted patients with a warm smile and made notes on their charts. It was as if the clocks were slowing down.

During my rounds, I ran into Ethan, who paused to compliment me on my new look.

"Junior? Is that you?" he remarked, his usual stoic expression softened by a hint of amusement.

"Yep, it's me." I said, suddenly feeling shy from his attention.

"I almost didn't recognize you, quite the change I must say, you always seem to suprise me more and more."

I couldn't help but smirk. "Is it a good thing or a bad thing, Dr. Miller?"

Ethan chuckled, his eyes twinkling. "Just an observation, nothing more."

But our lighthearted moment was interrupted by Diana, who sauntered over with judgment on her face.

"Let's see, what do we have here? Brooklyn is trying to play dress-up like a real doctor?" she sneered, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

My smile faltered for a moment, but I quickly regained my composure. "Actually, Diana, I thought I'd give you some competition in the fashion department. You know, since you seem to have so much time to spare between berating interns."

Diana's face turned red with anger, but before she could respond, I turned on my heel and walked away, refusing to let her ruin my day.

Finally, lunchtime arrived, and I met Alex at a cozy little café downtown. The atmosphere was relaxed and inviting. I smiled as I settled into my seat.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't, Dr. Dreamy himself," I teased, raising an eyebrow at Alex.

Alex laughed, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Dr. Doofus reporting for duty," he replied, flashing me a playful grin.

My eyes widen, "How did -"

"You can say your friends really want us to be together." He smiled.

We spent the next hour chatting and laughing, our conversation flowing effortlessly as we discovered shared interests.

Turns out we both love reading books in our spare time. While my mother was alive, she always gifted me books rather than toys, and after her passing, they became something that made me feel closer to her.

I couldn't remember the last time I had felt so comfortable with someone, and I found myself opening up to Alex in a way I hadn't expected.

As we finished our meal, Alex reached across the table and took my hand in his, his touch sending shivers down my spine.

"Brooklyn, I have to say, I'm really glad we did this. I've had a great time getting to know you," he said, his voice soft and sincere.

I felt my cheeks flush as I looked into his eyes, my heart pounding in my chest. "Me too, Alex. Me too."

"How about some desserts?" He asked. "Anything you want?"

"Whatever you like," I said, and he placed our orders.

"Hey, Brooklyn. Did I say you look fantastic," he said, eyes twinkling.

I smirked. "Thanks, Dr. Doofus. You clean up pretty well yourself."

"So, Brooklyn, what's your story? Why medicine?"

I shrugged, leaning back in my seat. "To be honest, I wanted to help people, and I'm pretty good under pressure. Plus, the white coat makes me feel like a superhero."

I skipped the part about my mother. I am comfortable with Alex, but not to the point where I am able to open my heart to him. To show him my deepest wounds, it will take more than a few dates.

He laughed. "I get that. I always wanted to do something that made a difference. Plus, I get to wear scrubs all day. It's like being in pajamas at work."

"Living the dream," I said, rolling my eyes playfully. "But seriously, I like that we can actually make a difference, even if it's just a small one."

"Yeah, those moments make all the long hours worth it," he agreed. "And the team we've got, it's like a second family."

It felt like we had known each other for ages, and I found myself laughing more than I had in a long time.

"So, Brooklyn," Alex said, leaning forward, "what do you think of me so far?"

I felt a blush creeping up my cheeks. "Honestly, it's a little too early to judge. But I will say, you're not as much of a doofus as I thought."

He laughed, clearly pleased with my response. "I'll take that as a compliment. But on a serious note, I'm really enjoying getting to know you."

I looked down at my coffee, suddenly feeling shy. "Me too, Alex. It's been a while since I've felt this comfortable with someone."

He reached across the table and gently touched my hand. "How about we make this a regular thing? Maybe a library date next time? I know how much you love books."

My eyes lit up at the suggestion. "A library date? Now you're speaking my language."

"Great," he said, his smile widening. "There's this little bookstore café not far from here. It's got a cozy reading nook and everything. How about we meet there next Saturday?"

I nodded, feeling a flutter of excitement in my chest. "It's a date."

"So, what are you currently reading?" he asked, clearly wanting to keep the conversation going.

"Well, I'm halfway through this mystery novel. It's got all the twists and turns, and I love trying to figure out the ending before I get there," I said, getting animated.

"Ah, a fellow mystery lover," he said with a grin. "I just finished a sci-fi book that's part of a trilogy. The world-building is insane."

"Sounds intriguing," I replied, feeling more connected with every word. "You'll have to tell me more about it at our library date."

"As long as you promise to tell me more about your mystery novel,"

"Deal," I said, laughing. "It's a date."

And as I walked back to the dorm, a smile tugged at my lips. Maybe, just maybe, this was the start of something special.

* Author's note:- Heyy, hope you all are doing well. Don't forget to vote if you feel like it. Feedbacks are always welcomed.*